Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

SAMs club trip what should I buy?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 20 Replies
My grandmother is giving me the second SAMs club membership so my fiancé and I have decided to use that opportunity to stock up on things we need food and house wise but I'm at a loss as to what to get because I've never done a shopping trip like this Our budget is around 200 bucks and although we don't have to worry a great deal about freezer space since my grandmother said i could store things in her deep freezer I still don't want to spend the bulk of our money on frozen items. So what do you recommend we buy to stock up? Our family consists of my fiancé and I and my 7 year old son and 3 cats.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I don't have any advice for specific items.  It's rather hit or miss when it comes to big-box stores.  The best advice I have is to be aware of the prices compared to your grocery store.  Know your unit prices.  Bigger is NOT always cheaper.  And, have a plan for how to portion and store if you do buy in bulk.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
See above - so right. I live in a place where double coupons do not exist, and if you find a TP coupon for more than $.50 for a non-recycled type, you freak out. So we buy TP, ground beef, chicken breasts, baking staples, vinegar, and Dove soap (bars to be made into body wash). If we use their coupons, we get coffee, juice bottles for the kids, and garbage bags.

I'd look into cat litter. I have no idea of the prices, but go look around and compare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninamsi
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I would say purchase items you know you will use and I would take a list of prices from where you shop regularly to compare.  We find that some things are priced better but not everything.  Shopping at Sam's Club saves when you are having a large gathering or making something for school, church, block party etc.  They do not always have the same products, so you have to basically go to find out what they have.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Buy what you use all the time. We go to Bj's and get hand samitizer in big jugs and just refill our old pumps. Toilet paper, paper towels, juice, ketchup, diapers. Those are the things we always use.  Also frozen chicken for the boys since and easy snack.

Roxygurl
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
That what I was leaning towards, buying cat food if they have my brand

I was also thinking of coming up with meal ideas for the entire month and then figuring out what we need by that.

Quoting matreshka:

Buy what you use all the time. We go to Bj's and get hand samitizer in big jugs and just refill our old pumps. Toilet paper, paper towels, juice, ketchup, diapers. Those are the things we always use.  Also frozen chicken for the boys since and easy snack.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
You really have to know your prices because store things are cheaper in your local stores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM
You also need to be willing to freeze things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moogsmom03
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I always buy laundry detergent, (the cheapest brand which last time was Arm and Hammer), dog food, TP, fresh fruit, meat to freeze, trash bags, yogurt, coffee, coffee creamer, a big box of popsicles for the kids, juice boxes, and granola bars. Most things are a pretty good deal if you use a lot of a particular item. I'm a big couponer but I love Sams and I go about once every 3 months and stock up of stuff.
tiredmomfor2
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM
we get most of our meat at sam's and then freeze it.we also get coffee there because it is cheaper..granola bars, taco seasoning..other seasonings. toilet paper, trash bags, milks, eggs (sometimes)..it just kind of depends on what we are out of at the time. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM
We buy a lot of our paper products and baby items there. Dh gets his fav snacks and cookies there because they are a lot cheaper in bulk. As far as food goes it really depends on what you like and need.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN