Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

favorite budgeting techniques?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hello everyone! I am new to the group (:

What's everyone's favorite method of budgeting and staying frugal?

For example, I do all the budgeting and the bills. We follow a lot of Dave Ramsey's teachings- We do the cash budget but are not getting through the baby steps quickly bc baby #3 is due in May and therefore are saving as much as possible. (Although I just paid off my student loans this week and that feels so awesome!!!!)

Do you follow Dave or some other financial methods? Do you cash budget? How do you deal with the budget in your home? I love to talk budgeting, lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ivf_blessed
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I love most things about Dave Ramsey.  The only thing I didn't like was his budget software on his website.

I ended up switching to youneedabudget.com to track my spending.  I don't do the cash envelopes thing - I do follow my budget though.  With YNAB I have built up my account that I am budgeted at least a month ahead.  Thanks to my latest tax return, I am actually budgeted out through June.  I love having Sinking Funds for things down the road too.  I have saved 1/2 of my Christmas Budget already and all of my kids Summer Camp money.

DR & YNAB really turned my life around.

So, with a baby on the way you are in "Stork Mode"?  Congrats on that AND paying off your Student Loans!  AMAZING!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I don't really know the Ramsey method but I do cash budget. And I budget out 6 months in advance. I haven't been very good at sticking with it in the last two months because I'm 4m pregnant and all I wanna do is EAT!! Its gotten harder to stick to the food budget so I need to modify it.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I try to do the cash thing too.. I pay all of my bills online, and I take spending money out of the account in cash and when its gone, its gone. 

katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Thanks! Definitely in stork mode (: I'll need to check out YNAB, sounds awesome! I love the cash budget method but sometimes with our schedule we need to go grocery shopping on a day before I've withdrawn cash- like a Sunday, and I'm not going to pay atm fees so a check/debit it is! I have this giant notebook where I keep track of everything though, lol.

Quoting ivf_blessed:

I love most things about Dave Ramsey.  The only thing I didn't like was his budget software on his website.

I ended up switching to youneedabudget.com to track my spending.  I don't do the cash envelopes thing - I do follow my budget though.  With YNAB I have built up my account that I am budgeted at least a month ahead.  Thanks to my latest tax return, I am actually budgeted out through June.  I love having Sinking Funds for things down the road too.  I have saved 1/2 of my Christmas Budget already and all of my kids Summer Camp money.

DR & YNAB really turned my life around.

So, with a baby on the way you are in "Stork Mode"?  Congrats on that AND paying off your Student Loans!  AMAZING!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Its been that way for me too since being pregnant- lol! I've been focusing on finding a reasonable number over the last three months, but factoring in the fact that baby #3 requires nutrition for me and will continue while nursing, eventually being another eater... Ugh! Food is expensive here so its been tough!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I don't really know the Ramsey method but I do cash budget. And I budget out 6 months in advance. I haven't been very good at sticking with it in the last two months because I'm 4m pregnant and all I wanna do is EAT!! Its gotten harder to stick to the food budget so I need to modify it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)