Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making your own laundry soap

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hello moms...I'm looking for some recipes for laundry soap. I'd like to find something that's good for sensitive skin and babies, inexpensive and easy. Does every recipe involve grating bars of soap? Any recipes appreciated. Thanks!
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ladybuglove08
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I use 1/3 bar fels naptha, borax, washing soda, baking powder (all 3/4 cup) and 2 gallons 6 cups water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Yes grating is usually required although you can use a food processor. Just cut the bar into chunks.
I make powder detergent
1 bar soap grated ( Fels Naptha, Dr Bronner's, ivory, Zote, Kirk's Castile soap)
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1 cup oxygen bleach

Use 2-4 tbs per load depending on load size and machine type

Kiel's Castile soap and Dr Bronner's fragrance free bar soaps are probably the most gentle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

This is a link to the paste version and only make half of that receipe. What I do differently I leave it in the pot to cool maybe 2 hours. Then use stick blender to mix it up I add a bit more water I think 2 cups more because I don't want to put it in jars then take it out of jars then put a little water in each jar. Then I put that in a regular sized plastic ice cream container. The liquid receipe is half strenght then you have to put it in a bottle then add half water then mix. Then periodically remix and remix. I got tired of all the remixing/shaking.

http://thewhitesilkpurse.blogspot.com/2010/10/laundry-soap.html

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I use the recipe from DIYNatural.com. Borax, washing soda, and Fels Naptha.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Omd12
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I use.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Yes grating is usually required although you can use a food processor. Just cut the bar into chunks.

I make powder detergent

1 bar soap grated ( Fels Naptha, Dr Bronner's, ivory, Zote, Kirk's Castile soap)

1 cup washing soda

1 cup borax

1 cup oxygen bleach

Use 2-4 tbs per load depending on load size and machine type

Kiel's Castile soap and Dr Bronner's fragrance free bar soaps are probably the most gentle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM

i use

fels naptha

borax

washing soda

baking soda

purex crystals

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Bump for later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AvonCrystal
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

This is what I use http://thefrugalgirls.com/homemade-cleaners

I double the batch and just use the whole bar of soap.  Sometimes I ad some baking soda.  Grating the bar isn't a big deal and doesn't take as long as you would think.  If you have a food processor you could microwave the bar for a few seconds to soften it then cut in into 1/3 or 1/4 and stick it in the food processor.  I have  acheap  one so it didn't work for me but if you have a decent one it should work.

popomill
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I'll have to find the recipe (it's around somewhere). It was a bar of castile soap, borax and baking soda (I think).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)