Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Boo at the dentist

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
I have had 2 cavities my whole life. I went to the dentist last month and was told I had a cavity and may need a root canal....seems so drastic to me but whatever. I go in to have it filled and he drills my tooth down so low. I was going to get a 2nd opinion but the way he killed my tooth made that impossible. I had to wait over 2 weeks for the root canal. I go in today and he does the root canal and tells me now I need some procedure to push my gum line back so they can put the crown on. Apparently, it is $2500 out of pocket for the crown and procedure. Today I had to pay out of pocket $300. It just feels like I am getting ripped off. I will be getting a second opinion. Between my surgery last month and this, I am frustrated lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
T45
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Sounds to me you are right...I am no dentist...but.  I have decided that at a certain time and place in your mouth it is better to lose the tooth.

Terpsichore
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm not discounting your feelings - if it feels wrong, definitely get a second opinion. Just thought knowing someone else's experience might help.

I had a root canal. After the root canal, the tooth gets drilled down to just about nothing. If I remember, it's given some time to heal. Next appointment, a temporary crown is put in place. Finally, the permanent crown is put in place. The gums can still feel pain. I don't recall anything about needing a procedure to push my gum line back, but then again I have a receding gumline problem.

DH had to have a tooth extracted. We didn't have money to put a fake tooth there at the time. The tooth above the missing space is coming down, so we're really hoping that it's not too late. We went to an oral surgeon that we feel comfortable with. Because it's been a couple years since the tooth was extracted, DH needed a bone graft along with the implant, so day surgery. It went well. It needs at least 3 months to heal, and our regular dentist will put the crown on. For the bone graft and implant, yeah, they had to go into the gumline. There was no tooth stub to work with.

I forget the cost of the root canal. The cost of DH's crown is $2400 without insurance, and half of that with. Insurance covered part of the implant as well, but it still cost us $275 for a CT scan and $2100 out of pocket. I can't recommend doing nothing. Doing nothing can end up more expensive.

lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

i think its a good idea to get a second opinion also.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

A second opinion can't hurt.  Dental work is just so expensive, even with insurance.  Ugh.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

My dd is in dentistry.  She says when a dentist starts tossing "procedures" at you hand over fist, run, don't walk, to another dentist!

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

UGH! I hate that some dentists see $$$ when some people walk in and don't consider ANYTHING. my DH has a bridge for his front teeth, lost them in a work accident 20 years ago. he went to a new dentist a few years back and the guy said "oh, you need a new bridge, that'll be $6000, when can we schedule that" and he did nothing because that was easily 3 months' pay, yeah, we had that, NOT! so a few years later, after we left that dentist, his bridge fell out, it happens, and he went to the dentist I was seeing and the dentist RAVED about how good the bridge still was altho he needed a root canal in a tooth before he could reattach it. Yeah, first dude was just a money grubber! altho the crown he put on my tooth is so good, my orthodontist didn't know it was crown while I was getting my brackets for rubber bands put on. so I guess he did that well, but it was just bad. not all dentists are like that, so hopefully you can find one who will give you the honest truth and not just what's the largest margin for the books.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Please get a second opinion. I knew of a dentist in town who ripped people off like that. He does not practice densistry anymore.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

as someone who has a lot of dental work done-yes you were ripped off. I am so sorry-I'd make a complaint with your Dental insurance. I had to do that once and had the amount dropped and went to another dentist. Get a second opinion before you do anymore work done.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Years ago, I had a dentist tell me that I had a massive cavity that needed to be taken care of and that he wasn't sure what the final cost would be.  Wtf?  I wasn't in any pain...you'd think you'd notice something like that.

i decided to get a second opinion ...the other dentist said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth.

Always trust your gut....

momofcrazypants
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Woah. I'd get a second opinion pronto if you're still able to. I had a dentist do that one time to me too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN