Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
I have had 2 cavities my whole life. I went to the dentist last month and was told I had a cavity and may need a root canal....seems so drastic to me but whatever. I go in to have it filled and he drills my tooth down so low. I was going to get a 2nd opinion but the way he killed my tooth made that impossible. I had to wait over 2 weeks for the root canal. I go in today and he does the root canal and tells me now I need some procedure to push my gum line back so they can put the crown on. Apparently, it is $2500 out of pocket for the crown and procedure. Today I had to pay out of pocket $300. It just feels like I am getting ripped off. I will be getting a second opinion. Between my surgery last month and this, I am frustrated lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Replies (11-15):
ivf_blessed
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

My dentist kept telling me that I had to get my wisdom teeth out...I finally went to an oral surgeon and he said - Nope, you are still good - they don't HAVE to come out.  Never went back to that dentist and I still have my wisdom teeth 10 years later.  My dentist (just yesterday) said that I have great teeth even WITH wisdom teeth!

I agree - second opinions can't hurt, especially when it comes to such extremes with your health, time & money.

Good luck!

a_and_j_momma
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Thnks all! I will be getting a 2nd opinion
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jsbuck
by Janet on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I always go with my gut instinct.  I am glad you are getting a second opinion. 

My ds was seeing a pediatric dentist a couple of years ago and right from the first visit for a cleaning I had a strange feeling about her.  We continued to see her for a few more visits....teeth are fine, good job, whatever.  Then 6 months later.....he needs 4 fillings and two crowns on BABY TEETH that are going to fall out in a year or so.  I RAN from her office and took him to my dentist and guess what.....his teeth are fine......ugh!

I was also told by a dentist that I needed over $8k worth of work done.  I didn't have the money at the time so I said it will just have to wait......8 years later I still haven't had any of the work done and I don't have any problems with my teeth.  I get cleanings every 6 months.

WAHMommy13
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Definatly a second opinion. Dental work is so expensive and this day in age all most people want to do is take your money. Luckly i have my discount dental plan and that helps cover about half the cost of anything i need done. Both DH and i have not so great teeth so its great to have lol

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would get a second opinion. However, most situations are up to the dentists' discretion. My husband prefers the male dentist of the female at the practice we go to because the male dentist is less likely to drill

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)