Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Home Organization 101

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about inexpensively organizing your home.

Here are some tips from the moms in this group:

• Organize first, sorting out what needs to go where before you purchase bins and things for storage.
  • Check out yard sales for baskets, totes, etc., that you can use to sort and store things around the house.
  • Think outside the box - for example, using laundry baskets as toy bins can save you money as well as make organizing your home easier.
  • Watch for freebies and things you can recycle or repurpose to help with organization and storage.

juggling

For more help:

Click here to see what Frugalistas are discussing on the group today:
See Active Posts - Let's Talk!

Please share your tips and tricks for organizing your home for less below!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on May. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My best organizing advice is to go through your stuff and weed out the things you really don't use or need.  It's amazing what you can accumulate in a rather short amount of time.  LOL.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

My best tip is to get rid of stuff! Simplify! If it's not there you don't need to dust it or organize it or store it. Any time you bring something home get rid of something else :)

AzariahsMother
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for sharing.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Thanks for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM
My issue is drowning in paperwork and no one picking up after themselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I just tackled the storage closet under my stairs. It also holds all my craft stuff and some dry/canned pantry items. Pulled out all the baby stuff we'll need in the first few months of baby's life and I reorganized the rest along with our holiday stuff. Next I need to organize the shelves that contain my downstairs stockpile and my craft stuff. I'm not as into scrapbooking as much as sewing right now, so I need to consolidate all of my papers, stickers, stamps, etc.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Next I need to focus on my kitchen and get some bins to put all bills, checkbook and recent statements in. I also need to get bins for my freezer. Its small and I need to organize it by meats, veggies/fruit, pancakes/baked goods/snacks. I hate going in to pull something out for dinner and having half of whats in there landing on my feet. Ouch!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I will start on my dd's room after my kitchen. I'll know the sex by then (May 15th!!!) and can better decide what I'm keeping and what I'm giving to a friend. I need to get space savers and consolidate all of the stuff I'm keeping, blankets included and stack it above dd's closet (we have huge storgae spaces above the closet of both bedrooms

I need to go through her closet and donate some old toys that likely won't last through this next kid lol. I had a tendency of holding on to a lot for sentimental value and now I'm rethinking some of that lol. DD's closet has shelves that would be great for a lot (diaper/wipes storage, baby clothes, blankets, towels)

I still have DD's changing table in there, but it serves more of a book shelf purpose since thats what's below the changing platform and I need to make better use of that space as well.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

In our bedroom I'd like get space savers for my seasonal clothes and things I won't be able to wear for a long while after I have this baby. We need to get a metal bed frame anyway and when we do we'll get some under the bed storage bins for some of that stuff, and for spare blankets.

And not that it has to do with organizing but we've had this beautiful 6piece frame set for our wedding that I have yet to put pictures in, let alone hang up and I NEED to do that!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Can you tell I'm nesting already? Lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN