Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What tips do you have for organizing your home?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Organizing your home is a never-ending job that can save you money in the long run by eliminating repeat purchases due to misplaced or broken items.

To start, look around for items that have no home and create a place for them. Decide where you’ll keep them and put them there - then remember to put them back every time you use them, as soon as you use them.

Examine your needs before making a purchase. Is there something you already have that can achieve the same goal as that new item? Is there something you could get rid of before you make the purchase to save space? Organize and separate your items, measure the space where you plan to put them, and see if you can use what you already have for organization before you run out to buy something new.

Think outside the box, or repurpose the box, for creative storage solutions.

• Cardboard boxes are great all-purpose storage for almost anything you want to store and come in a variety of sizes. You can even paint or cover them with self-stick paper or fabric to make them more attractive and to coordinate with your home's decor.
  • Wine boxes can be used to store ornaments, glassware and other breakables and may even be obtained freely by checking behind a local liquor store.
  • Shoe boxes can be used to store craft items, jewelry, tools and more.
  • Baskets are another great all-purpose storage tool and can be found at yard sales and thrift stores for very little cash. As with the cardboard boxes, you can paint or cover the baskets to match your home.

Reduce and store your paper clutter. If you can go paperless on things like bills, recipes, etc., do that and store the items on a computer or portable hard drive. For items you want or need to keep such as user manuals for appliances, important records, magazines or catalogs, use file folders and boxes to keep them sorted and go through them periodically to weed out older items you no longer need. For unpaid bills you need ready access to so you don't forget about them, store them in a file on your desk or in a drawer.

Make time for regular organization. As with cleaning, organization needs to be done regularly to keep on top of things and prevent the clutter and disorder from taking over. Take 15-20 minutes per day to run through your home putting everything back in its place.

What other tips do you have for organizing your home?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on May. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I really need to get better about organizing. I can clean, but I suck at organizing lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

We are so disorganized here. If we stay in this apartment, I was thinking about getting or building cubbies to go along the walls in both bedrooms. What we have is a lack of storage space.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

1.  Get rid of the clutter....don't try to organize it.  If it doesn't have a home and hasn't been used in a year (and isn't seasonal), it's got to go....baby things excluded if you're still in baby-making years.  I know people that have ROOMS full of "organized" clutter that they haven't used in years.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Quoting matreshka:

We are so disorganized here. If we stay in this apartment, I was thinking about getting or building cubbies to go along the walls in both bedrooms. What we have is a lack of storage space.

Know what I love?  those totes that fit under beds!  They take up unused space and won't crowd a room, and you can often fit at least 3 under a full sized bed, 1 - 2 under a twin bed.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are my favorite things about my daughters' rooms! Tucked under the beds, hidden by dust ruffles, but everything has a place. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting matreshka:

Know what I love?  those totes that fit under beds!  They take up unused space and won't crowd a room, and you can often fit at least 3 under a full sized bed, 1 - 2 under a twin bed.

matreshka
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We have the totes and they're full ;) My DH is a "collector"

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting matreshka:

specialwingz
by Corey on May. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Get rid of thing you really don't use or need. 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

One way of getting rid of paper clutter is to handle it only once. When the mail comes in, make a decision about each thing that comes in, put it in it's proper place or throw it out right then.

brownsugar1981
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I can organize my home and office like no one's business, then kids and husband come in take and never put anything back where it belongs. EVER! It is a never ending cycle. 

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

1.  Get rid of the clutter....don't try to organize it.  If it doesn't have a home and hasn't been used in a year (and isn't seasonal), it's got to go....baby things excluded if you're still in baby-making years.  I know people that have ROOMS full of "organized" clutter that they haven't used in years.

This is me.

I hold on to baby gear... but I don't even hang on to clothes much. My first two girls are close in age so anything unstained might get handed down as play clothes, but I'm having a 3rd girl in August and I didn't save any clothes for her. I do better taking everything in decent condition to consigment and clothes remain affordable.

Otherwise, yeah. I'm a purger by nature. I have a very small box of "rotational toys" that I bring out for road trips (if they seem new the kids love them). But any toys that have sat for more than a few months unused, get the boot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)