Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What are your best tips for getting the most out of your money when shopping for clothing?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

How you shop for clothing can really affect how much you spend and save.

Visit the right place:
Flea markets, thrift stores and consignment shops will give you unique clothing and accessories for a far lower price than other retailers. You might even find pieces you can "upcycle" to create something that's totally you.

Buy out of season:

Buy coats, sweaters, and other cold weather gear in the early fall before the weather's truly cold to get what you need for less. You can also buy swimsuits and summer apparel in the early spring before the weather's warm enough to need them.

Buy more than one:
Buying multiple items can save you in the long run. If there's a t-shirt, for example, that your child really likes, buy one in his current size and one that will fit him later on and save money.

Visit factory sales:
Local factory outlet stores can save you 50% to 90% on the garment's original price.

Shop discount stores:
Discount stores like Ross or Marshalls offers price that are about 50% less that the retail stores, and big box stores like Kmart, Target and Sears regularly have good discounts.

Examine your wardrobe:
Study of your wardrobe before you shop to make sure you aren't buying something you already have. You can also extend and freshen up your existing wardrobe by purchasing accessories or other pieces to pair with things you have and give them a new look.

Find the perfect fit:

Buy clothes that fit so you won't need to spend extra money on tailoring or replacing the item sooner.

What are your best tips for getting the most out of your money when shopping for clothing?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I try to buy staples in neutral colors and then accessorise with whatever colors are "in".

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Find out where stores donate clearance items at the end of the clearance cycle. Our Target donates to Salvation Army and I can get items at an even more reduced rate.
lady-t3984
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Well,,by now,everyone knows I love Macys! But,over the years I've learned how to follow prices,instead of buying things right away, I wait until the price go down. Next, I love Coach,instead of getting my Coach purse, shoes from a department store, I shop at the Coach outlet,or their on-line outlet,you be surprised how much you save. Lastly, I buy Summer clothes in the winter,and vice-versa.
matreshka
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I love shopping thrift stores and clearance racks!

lizard3731
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Thrift stores!  Especially for children's clothes.

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Outlets and clearance are my tricks. Just got dd tshirts at childrens place for 1.67 and stretchy pants at oshkosh for 1.99 each
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jilligan362
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I shop clearance sections, thrift stores, garage sales and end of season. Yesterday I bought 2 pairs of shorts for $5, a pair of flip flops for .50 cents and almost 10 shirts for ds for around $12 at my favorite thrift store. Also bought 6 books between 2 thrift stores for less than $2 as well yesterday.
Myrick4pack
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Clearance, sales, off season, discount stores, & more. When your shopping for so many. You can't afford retail price for anything. I also buy larger sizes. For the kids to grow into.
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Shop when there are clearance on already clearanced items. Nothing like finding jeans that normally cost $39.50 at old navy for $3.98

p608319chef
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I went to my favorite thrift store last Wednesday. :) I got: Me: Four shirts Four pairs of jeans A skirt Baby: 15 books (mostly Disney) 8 shirts 1 pair of silky shorts Pair of Mickey Mouse pajamas SO: Pair of work pants with tags Most of it was name brand and I spent less than $25. Happy mama. It's a lot cheaper than even Goodwill.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)