Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your favorite Laundry Cleaner Recipes?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

What are your favorite homemade laundry cleaners?

Here are some simple recipes:

Laundry Detergent:
Mix together two parts Borax, two parts Washing Soda and one part grated Fels-Naptha
(Zote, Ivory or castile soap can be used instead of Fels-Naptha) soap. Use up to three level tablespoons per wash load.
Store the rest in a lidded container, out of the reach of children and pets.

Bleach Alternative:

• To Whiten Clothes: Add cup of lemon juice to wash cycle to boost whitening action of laundry detergent.
  • To Remove Stains from Clothing: Pour lemon juice over stain. Rub area with salt and place garment in sun for several hours. Wash as usual.
  • To Remove Stains from Countertops and Other Hard Surfaces: Create paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Apply the mixture to stain and allow to sit for several hours. Wipe clean.
  • To Sanitize: Rub half a lemon over surface or apply lemon juice straight from bottle. Rinse with water.

Fabric Softener:
Add cup of white vinegar to washer's rinse cycle. To give clothes a fresh scent, add a few drops of  essential oil to the vinegar.

Laundry Booster:
Add cup of white vinegar to washer's rinse cycle.

Stain Remover:

• Remove Tomato Stains: Saturate stain with vinegar. Allow it to soak in. Wash.
  • Remove Sugar-Based Stains: Saturate stain with vinegar. Allow it to soak in. Wash.
  • Remove Coffee/ Tea Stains: Flush area with vinegar. Rinse and repeat as needed. Wash.
  • Remove Wine Stains: Saturate stain with vinegar. Allow to stand several minutes. Rinse with water and repeat process if needed. Wash immediately after.
  • Remove Mustard Stains: Apply vinegar to stain and allow it to soak in. Spot treat with laundry detergent and wash.
  • Remove Grease: Soak stain in undiluted white vinegar. Wash.
  • Remove Sweat Stains: Pour vinegar over stain. Rub coarse salt into stain. Place garment in sun to dry. Wash.
  • Remove Grass Stains: Apply vinegar to stain with sponge. Lightly dab to lift. If stain persists, make paste of vinegar and baking soda, brush into stain with old toothbrush, and wash as usual.
  • Remove Ink Stains: Apply vinegar to stain. Rub with paste of vinegar and baking soda. Let dry. Wash.
  • Remove Deodorant Stains: Rub vinegar into stain until it disappears. Wash.
  • Remove Blood Stains: Immediately pour vinegar over stain. Allow it to soak for fifteen minutes. Rinse with cool water and repeat if necessary. Wash immediately after.
  • Remove Set-In Stains: Saturate stain in vinegar. Rub with a paste of vinegar and baking soda. If stain persists, add a couple tablespoons each of vinegar and laundry detergent to bucket of water and soak over night. Rinse and wash.
  • Remove Crayon: Rub vinegar into stain with old toothbrush. Wash.
  • Remove Vomit Stains: Rinse garment in cool water to remove as much vomit as possible. Soak stain in vinegar. Wash. If stain or odor persists, repeat.
  • Remove Rust: Pour vinegar over stain. Rub coarse salt into stain. Place garment in sun to dry. Wash.
  • Remove Iron Scorch Marks: Soak rag in vinegar and dab at scorched area. Blot stain with clean rag. Wash.

Wool Wash:
Add a cup of white vinegar to your washer's rinse cycle.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on May. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

TFS! 

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on May. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I don't make any of my stuff.  I buy from the store. 

newwifenmom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This is great!

I use equal parts borax, washing soda and laundry soap.

lovinmykids64
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Thanks for sharing I am gonna try this tomorrow 

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Tfs!
matreshka
by Valerie on May. 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I haven't found one that I've used that doesn't irritate my skin.

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on May. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Tfs. 

Aunt_Jenny
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Thank you. I was looking for recipes just last month.

dalbax2
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I crochet baby items for a charity group I belong to.  We always add vinegar to the rinse water.  It takes out odors like pets, smokes, etc.  It helps to soften and fluff the items.  We aren't supposed to use detergent or fabric softeners because of the dyes and perfumes being irritating to the babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)