Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what do you do to save money?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 43 Replies

is there anything particular you and your family do to cut back on everyday costs? please tell me what you do! we are moving soon and we're going to have to budget hard so i'm looking for any tricks you can share!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM
only get what u know ur family will eat ..what the sales,coupons, maybe find easy meals .
Mommy383
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Coupons, shops sales. Don't buy more than a weeks worth of food, so you don't overeat or waste. Avoid shops like walmart if you only need one item, you will end up with thing you dont need. When possible buy in bulk. But don't feel that everything in bulk is "saving". Plan meals at least 7-10 days ahead so you can use items already in the kitchen and only get what you need.

We just called Comcast and got our bill down to 49.99/month for cable and internet for the next year. I switched to boost mobile, only $55/month. My husband is switching over as well. We only eat out with coupons, BOGO deals. When shopping for kids I only shop sales, real sales not just because the store says so. I keep track of prices from various stores so I know when I am getting a deal. If an item is needed for the house I shop around, I don't just go buy it. I waited over 3 month to get a deal on a bookshelf. Saved more than 50%.

Sorry so long, hope that helps.

Bbrenn09
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I meal plan. I plan for the month and Grocery shop every two weeks. I would shop for the month however I don't have the freezer space. You should look up, it's a blog site, blissfulanddomestic.com or just google search blissful and domestic. TONS of pointers there!!

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I only buy foods that are on sale, I check the ads every week and make my list. You can make your dinners with mostly potatoes, rice, pasta, beans and veggies and just a LITTLE meat or eggs for protein. Don't buy any bottled drinks or convenience foods. Kids love koolaid for a treat, you can make it with the packets and don't use the whole cup of sugar, or I use to mix it 50/50 with apple juice when juice was on sale. I get all my detergent at the dollar store, 32 loads for a buck :)

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Thrift stores and Craigslist are the best for almost anything you might need!

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I have bundled my services, asked for discounts, or asked about promotions they maybe offering like with my cable, cell phone, etc.  

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I meal plan. 

newwifenmom

I shop sales, I coupon, I freeze meals and turn leftovers into a new meal. I buy quality off brand products when possible. I make my own laundry detergent. I wash clothes in bulk, not just a piece or 2 at a time. We use sunlight when we can, turn off electricity when not in use. we consolidate trips out so that we are not constantly back and forth in the car.

AzariahsMother

I shop at the Goodwill, Thrift Stores before I will buy from a Target, Walmart etc.  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  Just depends on what I am looking for. 

AzariahsMother

I use coupons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)