Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you keep your grocery bill low?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hello Ladies,

We are a family of 4... I am so tired of spending $220-250 a week on groceries. I have tried coupons but saving a couple of bucks is not making much of a difference. We are spending a minimum of $1000.00 a month on groceries. I refuse to believe this is average lol

So, what gives?? How do you ladies keep your grocery bill low but still manage to make hearty and healthy meals plus snacks and drinks

How often do you have to buy household needs like toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent etc...

Thanks

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I have started using coupons and it has helped., but it does take some time and watching sales, etc... I know if I was "better" at it I could probably be saving more.  Last week, I did my shopping at Wal-Mart, and they don't double coupons like Shaw's, but I believe as far as overall prices they are still cheaper. 

My bill was a little over $270 and I saved about $50 using coupons - getting my bill down to a little less than $220.  What I have found with coupons is 1) you have to invest the time and be organized... 2) you still have to comparison shop - between "brands" and store brand... and 3) you can't be as brand-specific as you used to be.  If you are willing to change up your brands to go with the sales, then you can do pretty good.  That was my "big week" of shopping.  Next week, I should be able to my "restock" shopping on my perishables and what few things I ran out of this week - only having to spend about $100 - $150 (or less). 

My goal is to eventually be able to do grocery shopping for $600-$700 a month.  That is for a family of 4 and running a home-based child care where I feed the kiddos 2 meals and 2 snacks a day.

The household items - pet supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, as well as personal care items - are the things that I try to "stock up" on when I have coupons.  Last week I got 3 body washes for DH, 2 shaving creams for me, 2 6-packs of paper towels, cat food and cat litter and got all of them for about 50% retail due to coupons - some were B1G1, some wer B1G2, some were $1+ off coupons. DH certainly is not going to go through 3 body washes this week, but he is now stocked up for a while... until I find another good sale.

Not sure if any of this will help, but this is what I have learned thus far....

silverdawn99
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I buy in bulk and split it up. We are a family of five. Also we taxes comes in we go to same club and stock up
Momtimestwo
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I make meal plans based on what I already have at home and what is in the current grocery ads. There's also a lot of stuff you can make yourself (like BBQ sauces, seasonings, dressings) with stuff already on hand instead of having to buy it.
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

We do a "clean out the kitchen" week about every 6 weeks where we take a week (or 2 depending on how much we have had build up) and only eat out of what we have in the kitchen with the exception of the perishable items OR a small item I have to buy to finish off a recipe.

Quoting Momtimestwo:

I make meal plans based on what I already have at home and what is in the current grocery ads. There's also a lot of stuff you can make yourself (like BBQ sauces, seasonings, dressings) with stuff already on hand instead of having to buy it.

Melissa823
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I don't. There are for of us, my husband, DD7, DD2, and myself. We eat dairy and gluten free, and I like to buy some things organic. I give up!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The first thing I did to lower what I was spending on groceries was to check prices at different stores.  It turned out I was shopping at one of the most expensive grocery stores in our city.  The, I started analyzing what I was spending for each meal.  I changed the things we were eating to items that were more economical, used the same ingredients in different ways so that I could stock up when things were on sale, and started cooking from scratch more. 

Chantilly1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

We dont really have much left in the kitchen by the end of the week. I don't buy boxed or canned foods very often unless it is for a specific recipe like canned tomatoes or tomatoe sauce..

Quoting Momtimestwo:

Chantilly1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Thank you for taking the time to type and post this. I have dabbled with coupons but not to the point that I am saving 50$ on groceries. I wish I knew how to do that lol

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I have started using coupons and it has helped., but it does take some time and watching sales, etc... I know if I was "better" at it I could probably be saving more.  Last week, I did my shopping at Wal-Mart, and they don't double coupons like Shaw's, but I believe as far as overall prices they are still cheaper. 

My bill was a little over $270 and I saved about $50 using coupons - getting my bill down to a little less than $220.  What I have found with coupons is 1) you have to invest the time and be organized... 2) you still have to comparison shop - between "brands" and store brand... and 3) you can't be as brand-specific as you used to be.  If you are willing to change up your brands to go with the sales, then you can do pretty good.  That was my "big week" of shopping.  Next week, I should be able to my "restock" shopping on my perishables and what few things I ran out of this week - only having to spend about $100 - $150 (or less). 

My goal is to eventually be able to do grocery shopping for $600-$700 a month.  That is for a family of 4 and running a home-based child care where I feed the kiddos 2 meals and 2 snacks a day.

The household items - pet supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, as well as personal care items - are the things that I try to "stock up" on when I have coupons.  Last week I got 3 body washes for DH, 2 shaving creams for me, 2 6-packs of paper towels, cat food and cat litter and got all of them for about 50% retail due to coupons - some were B1G1, some wer B1G2, some were $1+ off coupons. DH certainly is not going to go through 3 body washes this week, but he is now stocked up for a while... until I find another good sale.

Not sure if any of this will help, but this is what I have learned thus far....

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teen boys, 1 almost-teen girl) and I have yet to spend over $450/month including all produce and meats, pet supplies for 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses and a rabbit, and household supplies.  We also eat grain-free and mostly dairy-free (I do use some cheese.)

I plan meals and stick to that plan.  The only deviation is if I find a great sale while shopping, one that would easily replace a meal in the plan and cost less.

I cook whole foods to make our meals from scratch.  The only canned goods I'll buy are coconut milk, tomato products, tuna and salmon, and some fruit that we can't find locally fresh.  When I eliminated processed food products (meals in a box or bag, breads, crackers, cereals, pasta, sauces, etc.) from our diet, I also eliminated a good 25% of the grocery costs.

I do not buy snack food products.  If my kids want a snack (which is rare) they can have fresh fruit with cheese, hard boiled eggs, leftover homemade grain-free muffins/pancakes, or a handful of (homemade) dried fruit/raisins/coconut/nuts or seeds trail mix.

We drink only water, tea (unsweetened), or coffee.  No fruit juice, no milk to drink, no sodas.

I do not stick to shopping just one store.  I buy 95% of our groceries from an Amish owned discount store and get the rest from Dollar General (usually using their $5 off $25 purchase coupons.)  I buy our meat right from the butcher or farmer, on the hoof or in meat bundles.  BTW, Walmart is not necessarily cheaper when it comes to food.  Our local Walmart ALWAYS charges at least 20ยข/lb. MORE for their bananas than any other area store...and I've seen many other items that cost more at Walmart than in other stores. 

I grow a garden during a very limited growing season.  Salad greens and salad fixings are eaten fresh, with several other things preserved for eating throughout the rest of the year.  You don't need a lot of space to do this.  I own the Fruit & Vegetable Gardening group here on CM and we have quite a few ladies that are very successful with container gardening in very limited spaces.

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I buy all my meat in bulk at BJ's wholesale and split it up and freeze it all. I also buy toilet paper and paper towels in bulk there too and that can last 3-6 months. We are a family of 5, soon to be 6. At the grocery store I only buy fresh fruits and vegetables in the produce section and limit myself on the things I buy in the aisles to bread, pasta, canned tomatoes, cereal, flour, sugar and things like that, I don't waste any money on chips, soda, crackers, packaged boxed processed foods. My kids only have cheese and fruit for snacks. I get deli meat and cheese from the deli still though and buy from the dairy section as well of course...I also buy fish from the grocery store only because I like to cook it fresh rather than freeze it. I make all our meals from scratch and alot of things like granola bars and stuff. I spend between 400-600$ a month on groceries at the grocery store, and then 100$ a month on meat at the wholesale store.

Married to the love of my life since 12/19/12, Mother to Miliana Elise since 03/03/2005, Ivan Elias since 12/21/08, Cristiano Alessio since 06/22/11, and expecting my little Shadiya Anais on 05/25/13

in lovetoddler girltoddler boytoddler boyexpecting girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)