Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what severe seasonal allergy remedies really work?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 37 Replies

I am not having any luck on claritin. I don't want to spend a lot of money finding the right thing for my seasonal allergies. Any recommendations?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Edited by
on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

My DF swears by a nasal flush.  He uses it every morning and every evening.  He says it flushes out the allergens from his sinuses and keeps him breathing more freely and sinus infection-free.  Personally, I can't use them.  But, he swears by them.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I do use a neti pot when I have sinus congestion and they really do work. My issue is more itchy watery swollen eyes.

Quoting specialwingz:

My DF swears by a nasal flush.  He uses it every morning and every evening.  He says it flushes out the allergens from his sinuses and keeps him breathing more freely and sinus infection-free.  Personally, I can't use them.  But, he swears by them.

StrangeDays
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
The herb Feverfew is supposed to be great for allergies. You can buy it in capsule form at health stores or online. You have to take it consistently, though, which is probably why it didn't help me. But it's worth a shot :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I have heard that before and maybe its worth trying with claritin that I take.

Quoting StrangeDays:

The herb Feverfew is supposed to be great for allergies. You can buy it in capsule form at health stores or online. You have to take it consistently, though, which is probably why it didn't help me. But it's worth a shot :)

Like Indie Rock? Check out B-Side!

StrangeDays
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Honestly, I would only take one at a time to see how your body reacts. Once you establish that, you can use one to suppliment the other. Just know that sometimes using herbs and drugs at the same time can cause them both to not work at all.

Quoting matreshka:

I have heard that before and maybe its worth trying with claritin that I take.

Quoting StrangeDays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

For me, I just use store brand Benadryl for the itchy eyes and nose.

Quoting matreshka:

I do use a neti pot when I have sinus congestion and they really do work. My issue is more itchy watery swollen eyes.

Quoting specialwingz:

CAMom5472
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
There are many "natural" products like Zarbees brand (for kids and adults too)I also use the "Little Noses" spray which is for stuffy noses (is made for kids but I find it works great for me!)They make other cold an allergy stuff and have them at Target or Rite Aid. Im sensitive to certain adult strength products and use childrens dye and alcohol free benedryl for my allergies. There are generic brands for allergies that work just as well!
mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
We use mucenex d. Cures all
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I can't use anything with a "d" after it, it makes me wacky, lol.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

We use mucenex d. Cures all

elephantmamaof2
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I just use generic benadryl and I have REALLY bad allergies. Its literally my cure-all. I've tried every single "expensive" allergy med, and none of them work as good as the good old fashioned pink pill lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN