Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

My dentist bill....wow....just need to rant

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 25 Replies

I went in about a month ago and had my teeth cleaned at a new dentist (my old one retired).  My insurance always covers my cleanings so I was expecting it to be the same.  They started taking all kinds of high tech photographs of my teeth and then right before they started the cleaning they said that I would have to pay $85 that day.  I told them that I normally don't pay for cleanings but they said they charge a little higher price due to the high tech photographs and extra stuff that they do.  They told me their system was down so they couldn't tell me the exact price, but it shouldn't be over $85.  So, I didn't like it but went ahead and let them do it and paid.  I also scheduled an appt to have a cracked tooth fixed next month.  Well, today I got a bill for $197.  Apparently they had so many extra charges for the photographs that my insurance company rejected most of them.  So, my cleaning cost me a total of $282 out of pocket.  I am furious!  I will be calling them tomorrow, and will likely cancel my appointment and get my tooth fixed somewhere else.  I can only imagine what they will try to charge for that.  

frustrated

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Oh wow!! I'd be livid!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I would call insurance and try to dispute the charges and see if you can get them to pay more. If not, I'd call the dentist and tell them you didn't authorize the extras

a_and_j_momma
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I would dispute it. I am going to dispute mine. They are trying to charge me the provider write off portion
reindeer-c
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Dental costs are out of control. I just was charged almost $1,000 for a root canal and now have to pay additional money to have it crowned. I cannot afford it and we have dental insurance. I did some research and what I am paying is the national average for what I had done. Everyone keeps telling me to go to Mexico to have all of the major work I need done because it is so much cheaper.

matreshka
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow. There system was down and they couldn't tell you the cost? That sounds real shady. Definitely go somewhere else.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Dental costs are so high . I'd cancel with them too n look elsewhere
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I'd be angry. I'd be calling the insurance also.  Dispute the charges.  Find out exactly how much they paid of your bill.  How much the bill really was.  I'd make sure the dentist didn't try slipping in anything extra.  We went through that when our son was in 7th grade.  He broke his wrist.  It was a 50$ copay for  the E.R.  Next thing you know. I get a bill for 189$.  I was furious.  To find out the hospital said that's the difference between what the actual bill was and what our insurance paid.  I said No.  We have a 50$ copay for the E.R.  The insurance pays the rest.  I disputed it witth the insurance.  After like a few or so months and that bill going to collections.  I finally got it settled. We never paid more than the 50$ copay.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I would come unglued!  I definitely wouldn't go back to that dentist.

mommynightowl
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Wow, I've never been to a dentist that didn't go over how much everything would cost before they did anything.

That is really shady, like report to the BBB needs to be made bad.
Marz31
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

That sounds like they probably put the wrong coding on the paperwork sent to insurance. it's their choice to use the new high-tech stuff, and they just need to figure that insurance isn't going to pay for it for a while if they're early adopters, so just suck it up! I've had dentists before that didn't use the silver fillings, only the tooth-colored ones, but insurance only covers those for teeth that show, so  since it wasn't my choice, they were in the habit of writing off the difference, because it was THEIR choice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)