Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How to get rid of weeds?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

Our yard was redone 3 years ago and now half of our front yard is weeds. Any frugal ways to get rid of them?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kim8934
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

besides manually pulling all of them by hand, I have nothing.  I bought a 25 lb bag of weed & feed from Farm & Fleet (their brand) and have been using that for about 2 years. depending on your yard size, that is a fairly good option.  Talk to the sales clerks, they can tell you what works well and what doesn't.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Thanks. I'm not pulling them it'd take forever! Lol :-) I will check out the weed and feed I was just told its expensive :-(

Quoting kim8934:

besides manually pulling all of them by hand, I have nothing.  I bought a 25 lb bag of weed & feed from Farm & Fleet (their brand) and have been using that for about 2 years. depending on your yard size, that is a fairly good option.  Talk to the sales clerks, they can tell you what works well and what doesn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IndigoRose
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Ha!  Embrace them!

Now is the time to pick young dandelion greens for salads.  They're loaded with vitamin A and C.  And, they're only great when they're young, at this time of year!

Pick them only if you don't use chemical fertilzers on you lawn.  Wash them well and serve them mixed with dark lettuce with Caesar Drssing, or oil & vinegar.  Or, make a wilted dandelion salad with a hot water, hot bacon and drippings, sugar and flour dressing.  

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

This is what I was going to say!

Quoting IndigoRose:

Ha!  Embrace them!

Now is the time to pick young dandelion greens for salads.  They're loaded with vitamin A and C.  And, they're only great when they're young, at this time of year!

Pick them only if you don't use chemical fertilzers on you lawn.  Wash them well and serve them mixed with dark lettuce with Caesar Drssing, or oil & vinegar.  Or, make a wilted dandelion salad with a hot water, hot bacon and drippings, sugar and flour dressing.  

IndigoRose
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Quoting matreshka:

This is what I was going to say!

Quoting IndigoRose:

Ha!  Embrace them!

I discovered that this is a new trend!  Vogue magazine has an article in their most recent issue about the benefits and deliciousness of weed salad.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I've heard that boiling water will kill them. Or vinigar mixed with a little dishwashing soap, so it sticks...Don't let the dandelion flowers go to seed, you'll have 10 thousand more!

kim8934
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I know what you mean, pulling them wastes too much time and it is rough on your back.

If you have a farm & fleet close by, watch for their sales.  I always by their brand, not the name brand stuff. 

Quoting OBImomma:

Thanks. I'm not pulling them it'd take forever! Lol :-) I will check out the weed and feed I was just told its expensive :-(

Quoting kim8934:

ColieO
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
It's really not. We paid under $10 for a bag that covers 5k square feet. It can last up to 3 months. Or you can get the liquid stuff that attaches to a garden hose for $8 and it covers 7500sf.

Quoting OBImomma:

Quoting kim8934:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredme
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I heard vinegar with salt and dish soap but I tried that and so far it hasn't worked.  My yard is just dirt and weeds.  We want to see but I can't get rid of the weeds.  We are about ready to just say oh well and seed anyway.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Where did you find those prices? Because I just looked and the cheapest we found was 25$

Quoting ColieO:

It's really not. We paid under $10 for a bag that covers 5k square feet. It can last up to 3 months. Or you can get the liquid stuff that attaches to a garden hose for $8 and it covers 7500sf.

Quoting OBImomma:

Quoting kim8934:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN