Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Store Brand vs Name Brand

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 141 Replies

Hi all,

I was wondering if you all had strong opinions on buying store brands vs name brands. I find this topic really fascinating for some reason since so much of marketing is psychology and a lot of the store brands are made in the same facilites as name brands. I just listed some store brand deals here off Twitter and have received some interesting feedback, and wanted to see what you all thought.

So my questions are: Do you buy store brands? What are the best/worst ones? and What item will you only buy if it is a brand name?

Thanks in advance, Danielle

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Kroger/Fred Meyer brands are usually pretty good and Target's house brands.. I think Biokleen laundry detergent is the only thing I am brand loyal too. & crest pro health toothpaste...
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Ii will only buy name brand sliced cheese. Lile kraft singles. I won't buy walmary brand sliced cheese, cheese crackers (chez its), or laundry soap. I don't shop at food 4 less so don't know about kroger brand. Whwn ever I have purxhased target brand I've been satisfied, but the closet one is like 60 milea from us. Hyvee has good store brand produxts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

i buy store brands. except in cheese, i have to have kraft and jfg mayo and maxwell house coffee.

StrangeDays
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I mix and match. I do almost all my shopping at wegmans, and it really depends what is on sale that week. Sometimes the name brand is cheaper, but if it's not, and the store brand is good, I'll get that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circupon
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Kroger/Fred Meyer brands are usually pretty good and Target's house brands.. I think Biokleen laundry detergent is the only thing I am brand loyal too. & crest pro health toothpaste...

Thanks! I have never heard of Biokleen. Will look for it. And I do agree on Kroger brands. I used to buy a lot of Kroger brands when I lived in Indiana.

circupon
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

Ii will only buy name brand sliced cheese. Lile kraft singles. I won't buy walmary brand sliced cheese, cheese crackers (chez its), or laundry soap. I don't shop at food 4 less so don't know about kroger brand. Whwn ever I have purxhased target brand I've been satisfied, but the closet one is like 60 milea from us. Hyvee has good store brand produxts

Thank you! Everyone raves about Target brands - market pantry, Archer farms, up & up. I need to try more of them.

Mommynwife26
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy store brand 90 percent of the time, I will buy name brand if I get a good deal on it. Of couse make up is the only real thing I buy name brand of though. I make our own soaps so I don't have to worry about those, I would probably by name brand laundry detergent if we were to buy it again.

Firenygirl180
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I buy whichever is cheaper, our more for my money. The only store brand oreos i will buy are the Spartan brand.

I drink smart sense Pop because it is always 4 12 packs for $10. I don't have any issues with store brands.
circupon
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting lyrick24:

i buy store brands. except in cheese, i have to have kraft and jfg mayo and maxwell house coffee.

Hey! Thanks for this. You and cookinmommyof1 both agree on cheese! This is interesting. I too buy Maxwell House coffee. It was rated the best tasting in Consumer Reports either last year or year before.

(i hope I am formatting these replies right)

circupon
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Quoting StrangeDays:

I mix and match. I do almost all my shopping at wegmans, and it really depends what is on sale that week. Sometimes the name brand is cheaper, but if it's not, and the store brand is good, I'll get that.

Thanks. I am with you with what is on sale that week (hence my business :). And oftentimes, the ingredients are the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)