Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

OT: carpet cleaning suggestions?? *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 3 Replies

Just a follow up: The baking soda was a good call.  It's not perfect but much better.  I also mixed baking soda/oxyclean and shampooed the carpet one more time and it helped a lot.  Unfortunately it's just something I'm going to have to live with.  DH's family doesn't believe in taking their wet/muddy shoes off before walking into someone's house.  So that combined with the dog is just my lot in life until the dog is gone. 

I did want to say, though, I was replanting some lavender from our garden and brought a few sprigs into the house.  After a day or so I kept thinking, "What is that smell??"  It smelled really good, so I broke off the leaves and ground them into the carpet where the dog lies all the time.  I waited a few hours and swept them up.  The smell has been gone for a couple days.  It worked so well I thought I'd share.  

*******************************************************************************************************************

We live in a VERY small house (624 sq ft.) and have a dog.  Livingroom and 2 bedrooms are carpeted. (If I could go back in time I would skip the carpet.  But our living space is over an unfinished basement so I'm assuming it would get very cold.)  

Anyway, the problem is the house stinks like dog all the time!  I think it's because the house is so small and she lays in the same places all the time.  Last week I borrowed my moms carpet cleaner and cleaned all the rooms.  I immediately noticed the smell wasn't completely gone.  After the living room dried I swear it was even worse than before :(  I think getting it all wet just stirred up the wet dog smell.  

I am so frustrated!  Every time I walk in the house I'm bombarded with the smell of dog.  I've washed her beds and blankets.  She's a dalmatian mix, which are known as really bad shedders but also as being "clean" and not having that typical dog smell.  (But as a friend said, "dog smell" is like "smoke smell" no matter what you do it's never really gone.)  Does anyone have any suggestions for controlling the smell on a regular basis?  

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have three dogs - they are outside rolling in the dirt all day and then come inside at night. I dump baking powder on the carpet every other day - brush it in with the kitchen broom, and vacuum it back up in about 20 minutes. If the smell is really bad, consider putting small cups of vinegar around the house...maybe behind the bookcase or the tv so you can't see it. My husband burnt a pot of beans once and the stench was horrid. We did everything and were considering repainting - we took plastic cups and poured about 1/4 cup of vinegar in them and left them out all weekend. I dumped them out and had a friend over - no stench.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I was going to suggest baking soda

matreshka
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Me too. And use it whenever you vacuum.

Quoting nmaxwell816:

I was going to suggest baking soda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)