Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

central a/c vs window unit a/c?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
Heya!
I'm at a loss here!
I live in Tennessee and in the summer it regularly tops 100 degrees!

I am "sensitive medical needs" And do NOT do well in heat... or anything above 70 really.

We live in BIL's house... and he's fixing it up (And so are we) as we go.

To put it bluntly the insulation SUCKS. I'm not even sure there is any.

When i sit on the toilet in our second bathroom i can wind blow on my feet. M loo st of the Windows (double pane) don't lock, none of the screens are properly sized and in one window even when its "shut" the curtains still blow around on a windy day!

The electric bill to keep the house at 62 degrees in February (which was pretty mild) was 300 $.
I'd guess this house is no more than 1000sq ft.

In contrast I lived down the road before in. 2900sq ft house.. keeping the temp at 75 cost about the same.

The attic has ZERO Insulation.

The house is getting "weatherized" soon. We don't know what will be done or when ( should be in the next month or so) And well, its 80 now.

Its not forecast to go above 80 for a few weeks... but I'm debating.

We have central air which obviously would cost a fortune to run.

SO and i are home all day ( he goes to school 1x a week and is on unemployment) And I'm disabled.

Do I buy two window a/c units NOW off craigslist or something And put ond in our main two rooms, And resell when/if the house is more energy efficient. .. or do I wait and buy them when I can't take the heat anymore?

Should i run the central air instead of the cost of the initial outlay?

.oh... and we turned OFF the central heat in march. Just got our first bill. We used a space heater-- 86.71 $

Thanks!
(Sorry it got so long! )
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

i would pay to insulate the house instead of buying two ac's. then you can run your central.

occumommy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Most likely if you buy a window unit or 2 off craigslist your going to end up paying just as much to run them as the central air since window units pull more energy, and what you would find on craigslist is less likely to be energy efficiant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
since you have a medical need get the house insulated and get central air. I think that would be best in your situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Well I did look into that.

2-3, 000 $ minimum. :/

If I got a window unit it'd be on only in one room (likely the smaller back room) during the day/night.
Part of this"weatherization" is supposed to be insulation, window repair, duct repair and so on.

But this house meeds so much I'm not sure exactly what will be done. The weatherization will be free to us.

Quoting lyrick24:

i would pay to insulate the house instead of buying two ac's. then you can run your central.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
This. And use fans

Quoting lyrick24:

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I do use fans. I have 9 of them not including our ceiling fans.
Unfortunately me paying for insulation and a new heat pump is out of the question.

So, I ve told BIL he needs to suck it up and do it or we are moving.

If we move, he can't rent the place out because I t needs so much work no one wants to live here And has decided if that happens the house will go into foreclosure ( which is a common theme on our block)

I cannot justify putting 10k+ of my money (that I would need a loan for) to fix a house that is not mine so extensively.

Here's to hoping he signs the weatherization forms soI can get this done before its 90 degrees!

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

This. And use fans

Quoting lyrick24:

specialwingz
by Corey on May. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Insulation and central air!  Wouldn't have it any other way.

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

you can rent and insulation blower from home depot here and do it yourself, if you are able. It would cost half the price of what you were quoted....maybe even less then half.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

If I got a window unit it'd be on only in one room (likely the smaller back room) during the day/night.
Part of this"weatherization" is supposed to be insulation, window repair, duct repair and so on.

But this house meeds so much I'm not sure exactly what will be done. The weatherization will be free to us.

Quoting lyrick24:

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I personally can't. I'm on disability and am actually having a spinal procedure done again next week.

SO is having knee surgery soon after. Hes the only one that could climb/get up to the attic.

Called BIL again yesterday, he said he is having the forms notorized and sent out this week, so hopefully by the end of may the house will be somewhat done.

We realized we need an entirely new heat pump (this one is from 1992 and leaks coolant apparently) the duct work needs to be repaired (its leaking, I can HEAR air blowing around in the walls!) in addition to the insulation, we noticed that someone would have to get UNDER the house via crawl space to fix the floor/insulation down there. 

Honestly, and truthfully I think it would be easier to doze the house!

But its not ours. I've already decided that once we figure out what weatherization will do and won't, well pick up from there. 

Perhaps when BIL comes up at the end of may he will blow the insulation!

I'm doing new windows before anything, they dont lock! Not safe!

Quoting RosePetalTears:

you can rent and insulation blower from home depot here and do it yourself, if you are able. It would cost half the price of what you were quoted....maybe even less then half.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Quoting lyrick24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)