Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Selling stuff to buy more stuff!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 30 Replies

So my husbands hours at work are being cut and our baby is going through diapers like crazy and I have been wanting to cloth diaper but hubby doesn't like the idea at all. Now I think we deff. should. Diaper prices are going up and everything too. So we would be saving like $70 a month (at LEAST $50 for sure). The problem is the money we would spend up front for cloth diapers and the "what if" part of not sticking with them.

I have tons of stuff sitting around my house that I planned on donating to like salvation army or some place (who would resell it anyways). A friend of mine added me to a group on fb for moms to post and sell to other local moms. I am addicted!!! I decided that I am going to sell our old stuff (mostly things our kids have out grown or do not like/use anymore) to supply the funds for our cloth diapers. That way if I don't stick with cloth we didn't spend any money that my hubby was looking at in the bank account already and I can re sell them too. 

So far I am up too about $100! Plus this weekend we are selling a few big things too but hubby says that I cannot have all of that money lol. 

I have ordered $62 of cloth diaper supplies (prefolds, covers, snappi, pail liner). Then I spent $3 at a yard sale this morning (for my son ... 4 shorts, 4 dress shirts, 2 pj sets. for my daughter... 3 jeans). So I still have about $30 (plus some of the money this weekend) to help start up my diaper stash/supplies. 

Just sooooo excited I had to share!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on May. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
4 moms liked this

My rule of thumb is...in order to buy more stuff...something has to go.  You can stuff only so much in one house.  LOL.

matreshka
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That's great. I hope cloth diapering goes well for you and you continue to sell more stuff.

butterflycircle
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I try to go by that too. It seems like there is already sooo much stuff, I have no idea where it all comes from

Quoting specialwingz:

My rule of thumb is...in order to buy more stuff...something has to go.  You can stuff only so much in one house.  LOL.

butterflycircle
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Thank you. I am so excited to dive into cloth diapers. I am pretty nervous about it though. Hubby loves this "maybe we can sell that" side of me lol

Quoting matreshka:

That's great. I hope cloth diapering goes well for you and you continue to sell more stuff.

Crafty8852
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I'm a member of a couple local fb buy&sell sites as well! It's been very convenient to find homes for the stuff we don't need or use anymore as well as finding great deals on things we do need :-) I got my energy efficient chest freezer for $50 simply because the person went bigger and didn't have room for both and sold some old sports equipment my kids outgrew for $100!
lillucky8
by Jen on May. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Thats great! Ive had almost no luck selling my baby stuff, im about ready to donate it all, im going to give it a few more wks and then its out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I have been having a hard time selling baby stuff too. it is the toddler and little kids stuff thats been selling. 

Quoting lillucky8:

Thats great! Ive had almost no luck selling my baby stuff, im about ready to donate it all, im going to give it a few more wks and then its out

lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM

sounds like you got some good deals and found a way to get everything!

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I wont have toddler stuff to purge for a while, maybe ill just donate it all to the womens shelter.

Quoting butterflycircle:

I have been having a hard time selling baby stuff too. it is the toddler and little kids stuff thats been selling. 

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM
That's great
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)