Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What a 2$ basket of eggplants got me meal wise

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I made my regular run to the produce market.  I grab a basket full of eggplants for 2$.  Hmm. Eggplant parmesean.  With a 1$ large can of pasta sauce a 2.50$ bag of shredded mozzerella and a little parmesean cheese.  For 5.50$ I made 2 pans of eggplant parmesean.   I peeled and sliced the eggplant.  Dipped in milk then bread crumbs mixed with flour and some all purpose seasoning salt.   Deep fried them.  Drained real well on paper towels. I put a little sauce on bottom of each pan. Then a layer of eggplant. Then sauce. Then shredded mozzerella and parmesean cheese. then another layer of eggplant etc.  Layering like a lasagne. Ending with sauce and cheese on top layer of eggplant.  That made 2 square pans.  One I wrapped up good and put in the freezer for another day.  One went in the fridge for tonights dinner.  We'll have garlic bread with it.  Nothing like good comfort food on a wet and chilly day.  It's been raining on and off all day.  Nothing beats 2.75$ a meal not including the cost of the garlic bread.    If we If I decide to add another veggie as a side. Then  that and garlic bread would be about 3.50$ for todays meal for 2 of us. 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I love eggplant parm! Way to go!

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

awesome!  I've never fried mine when making eggplant parm. I just drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper then roast the eggplant a little. I layer mine like you do only I add a litte bit of italien breadcrumbs and some fresh basil as well.  My 6 yr old begs for it!  My dh wants pepperoni in it. lol

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I might try roasting my eggplant next time. 

Quoting RosePetalTears:

awesome!  I've never fried mine when making eggplant parm. I just drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper then roast the eggplant a little. I layer mine like you do only I add a litte bit of italien breadcrumbs and some fresh basil as well.  My 6 yr old begs for it!  My dh wants pepperoni in it. lol

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM
awesome
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on May. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Yum, love eggplant especially how my Nana cook them. Never had eggplant Parmesan before but sound so good though  and makes me want some eggplant crab cake. Darnit, I'm hungry!! Hehe

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I love eggplant parmesan. I also do "lasagna" roll-ups with them
mikesmom65270
by Helen on May. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Sounds wonderful! 

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
My mom used to make it all the time, though she dipped hers in egg and not milk. It's been more than 15 years, and my s/o likes eggplant but had never had it like that, so I guess I'll be making some next week!
AzariahsMother
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Way to go!  Sounds yummy.

Roxygurl
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Awesome!! I love deals like that, and I think I'm going to have to try your recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN