Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you plan to pay for your child to go to college?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 42 Replies

Are you saving up for your kids to go to college or do you expect them to pay for it themselves, whether out of pocket, or with grants, loans, scholarships, etc.?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CassSpade
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Depends. Our deal is that we will be paying for their living expenses if they go to college. if we can afford it, we'll also pay for school. If not, we will make small payments on the loans so they don't have as much when they're done.
rachel_2010
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I never planned on it, but once baby was born we started an RESP, in canada the govt will add up to 2500 a year if you put enough in (they match a percent of whatever you put in)

B/c of that we decided it's a good idea.  If he goes to any school, uni, trade school or even bible college, he can use the money.  If he doesn't, we get the money we put in back minus interest and the gov't top up.  So if he doesn't go we will just have a nest egg in 18 years

I don't want him to be held back by money if college is something he really wants/he turns out to be a freakin' genius!!! lol

Also, we are planning on not telling him about it, or not the total amount we have for him.  So he will have summer jobs, apply for scholarships and all those good life lessons.  It will not be a hand out to be spent on booze! :p

Mommy4-27-08
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We want to pay for part of it and hopefully they will get scholarships for the rest. If not then they will have to pay for part of it.

I paid for all of school and have a lot of debt so I don't to do that to them, but I also have known a lot of kids who didn't take college seriously because they weren't paying for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charla_r
by Charla on May. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Yes we have college funds set up for our children that we contribute to monthly.
3kidz123
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

If I can afford to help out I will, but all of it for 5 kids? I don't see that happening.

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
We will help with what we can but by no means do i expect to be able to afford
100k at least in college expenses
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I would love to help them out but at this rate I don't see how we will be able too, unless a windfall of cash suddenly hits us. I would help them all I can get grants and scholarships if college is something  they want to do.

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I am saving all I can
lizard3731
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Sadly, we couldn't afford to help my 21 year old son and 26 year old daughter much.  But, they've been able to attend college locally by working part time.  My daughter is working on her masters' degree and is debt free.  My son is in his junior year of college and is also debt free.  It can be done without incurring lots of debt.

mamavaness
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I will try my hardest too. They have parent-plus loans from the govt which allows the parent to take out the loan and I would do that definitely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN