Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cloth vs Disposable (is it really worth it!?)

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 30 Replies
I am very tempted to make my own menstrual pads, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. but is it really worth do it. I don't want to go all the way and make a lot of this stuff if its really not the way to go. I need suggestions, comments. Let me know what you really think.
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Yes!  I made my own pads out of scrap fabric a couple of years ago.  Do you know how much I would have spent on pads in the past 2 years that I saved?  

I use washcloths over paper towels.  That saves me a lot too.

I haven't been brave enough to try tp although I do cloth diaper my kids.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I remember on Extreme Cheapskates on TLC. Some family made their own toilet paper.  From frabric scraps. They had a basket hamper to put the used ones in. They'd wash them like the regular laundry.   Me  felt that was gross.  Because of all the germs on them fabric toilet papers.  I'll spend the extra for flushable toilet paper.  Back in the old days. They did not have pads for A.F.  My mother said they used rags.  Not sure how that worked.  Well I'm saying going out in public.  What do you do with a used up rag pad. How did you put it somewhere.  Till you get home and wash them.  

amnicu02
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
That's a very good question. You would have to carry a wet bag around with you to keep all of the dirty pads in.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I remember on Extreme Cheapskates on TLC. Some family made their own toilet paper.  From frabric scraps. They had a basket hamper to put the used ones in. They'd wash them like the regular laundry.   Me  felt that was gross.  Because of all the germs on them fabric toilet papers.  I'll spend the extra for flushable toilet paper.  Back in the old days. They did not have pads for A.F.  My mother said they used rags.  Not sure how that worked.  Well I'm saying going out in public.  What do you do with a used up rag pad. How did you put it somewhere.  Till you get home and wash them.  

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be willing to use cloth TP, and my DH wouldn't go for that anyway.

With cloth pads, I'd be concerned about...um...odor.  Is that an issue?

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I cloth diaper, mama cloth and use cloth towels was much as possible.. I have spent roughly $350 on a four day stash of diapers and have been using them almost exclusively for over a year, saving about $65 a month. I wash every 3-4 days. I use mama cloth and have spent $50or so at Mama Bear Baby Wear on Etsy. I have been using these for almost a year, saving roughly $10 a month. I also have 3 wet bags for mama cloth, spending about $18 for those. I wash mama cloth with regular laundry so no extra expense there. One pad can last 7 years with the right care so after a few months these have paid for themselves.
There are many non-financial benefits to using cloth. You are not exposing yourself and your children to the toxic chemicals used in cloth diapers and conventional feminine products. Paper diapers are bleached in Dioxin, one of the most toxic chemicals according to the EPA. Women who switch to cloth report shorter, less painful and more manageable cycles.
I only buy a six pack of paper towels every month and a half or so. Some things I just didn't want to use a kitchen towel on ( like dog vomit lol).
My electric and gas costs for laundry are very minimal compared to the hundreds of dollars I would have spent on paper products. Cloth diapers are only 1 extra load every 3 days.
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM
The chemicals in paper products react with your body's secretions causing odor. I use mama cloth and have no odor.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I hadn't heard that about the chemicals.  Interesting.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

The chemicals in paper products react with your body's secretions causing odor. I use mama cloth and have no odor.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

How do you get the mama cloth to stay in one spot?

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
All of mine have wings that snap under the panty.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

How do you get the mama cloth to stay in one spot?

butterflycircle
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I am just starting to cloth diaper. I might think about trying cloth pads (especially for when my daughter starts having cycles too). A little nervous about leaks, absorbancy, how to wash them...

Quoting 907PickleMom:

I cloth diaper, mama cloth and use cloth towels was much as possible.. I have spent roughly $350 on a four day stash of diapers and have been using them almost exclusively for over a year, saving about $65 a month. I wash every 3-4 days. I use mama cloth and have spent $50or so at Mama Bear Baby Wear on Etsy. I have been using these for almost a year, saving roughly $10 a month. I also have 3 wet bags for mama cloth, spending about $18 for those. I wash mama cloth with regular laundry so no extra expense there. One pad can last 7 years with the right care so after a few months these have paid for themselves.
There are many non-financial benefits to using cloth. You are not exposing yourself and your children to the toxic chemicals used in cloth diapers and conventional feminine products. Paper diapers are bleached in Dioxin, one of the most toxic chemicals according to the EPA. Women who switch to cloth report shorter, less painful and more manageable cycles.
I only buy a six pack of paper towels every month and a half or so. Some things I just didn't want to use a kitchen towel on ( like dog vomit lol).
My electric and gas costs for laundry are very minimal compared to the hundreds of dollars I would have spent on paper products. Cloth diapers are only 1 extra load every 3 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN