Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Creative Reuse Ideas for Everyday Household Items - What are your ideas?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 3 Replies

Creative Reuse Ideas for Everyday Household Items

by Sheri Reed

It's a great idea to think outside the box and, whenever possible, figure out how to reuse everyday items we use around the house—although many of you have been doing this for years. Before you toss that glass jar or those single socks into the can bound for a landfill or even into the recycle bin, consider if there's a way to creatively reuse it first.

spaghetti sauce jars

Photo from The Kitchn

More creative reuse ideas for everyday household items...

• Reuse Spaghetti Sauce Jars, ideas from the handmade holidays group. Favorite idea: Dispense and store ribbon/string/yarn/twine. Just punch a hole or two in the lid (tess-n-co).
  • Reuse Worn Out Socks, ideas from Green, Organic, Natural, Simple Living group. Favorite idea: Cut off the feet and make a baby legwarmers (sunshinegirl777).
  • Reuse Oatmeal Containers, ideas also from Green, Organic, Natural, Simple Living group. Favorite idea: Lay sideways and cut a hole in the side for a perfect baby doll bed (hippypeg).
  • Reuse Dryer Lint (yes, that's right), ideas from the Frugal & Thrifty Moms group. Favorite idea: Make clay; click over for the simple recipe (FirstTimeMom102).

More creative reuse ideas:

+++ What about you? Got any creative reuse ideas to share with us?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lizard3731
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I use single socks for rags.  They're great for dusting.  I write "rag" on them, so whoever puts laundry away knows not to look for a mate.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

plastic baby wipes containers to store crayons and markers

5 gallon paint buckets (cleaned out) to store toys like blocks & cars

old phone books (2-4 of them depending on size) wrapped in duct tape for a booster seat at the kitchen table

socks without a mate for sock puppets

We also keep empty 1 gallon ice cream buckets for when kids get sick.  Kids know these are our "barf buckets."  LOL  When kid is well again we don't feel bad tossing them. 

ummcarter
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

tall empty spice jars for washing paint brushes when my son paints. 

cleaned empty tin can for pencil jars

torn up clothes for rags, diapers and baby clothes

empty Aussie Pies box for desk organizer tray

empty non dairy beverage containers to store water in. 

empty containers of all shapes and sizes to collect rain water in (you wac water the lawn and garden with it , do laundry and other things in it)

old broken electronics become projects for my son to explore how stuff works

honestly we tend to use things until they are un recognizably worn out, we buy in bulk or produce so not much packaging.

Tiny bowls from Thia custard like steamed desert, premeasuring out small amounts of ingredients when my son is cooking a meal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN