Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

New at Couponing...I need advice!

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

So, I'm moving into my own place in a few months, and I want to start couponing, so my family can have more money and we can live in a relaxed state of mind. I'm not going to extreme coupon, but I am going to do it so I can save money on my grocery trips.

So, to my fellow couponers, what's your advice? Do the cashiers give you a hard time? How much do you save per grocery trip?

icon104.gificon66.gif

by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AzariahsMother
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Well the first thing I always do is look at my inventory and see what I can cook with what I already have.

I will meal plan.

Only buy items if it has a coupon or comes with a sale. I don't really pay full price for anything unless its meat and those I do look for sales.

I shop at 3 different stores.

Buy generic for most things.

I have also learned when to get great deals on meat, which here is usually Friday. Its always marked down from what didn't sell during the week.

That's pretty much all I do to keep costs down. Now that summer is here I will spend more to buy those extra things like frozen pizzas, lunchables,mac&cheese, noodles or easy things DD can cook. I mean I buy them now but it's more on a limited basis.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

This was also a great post on budgets and what people spend and how they save.  Might be worth looking over.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112383/forums/read/18542460/What_is_your_Budget

lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

i just used my coupons i got off of coupons.com and saved thirty some dollars with enough food and drinks to feed us for a week.

emeraldangel20
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

featured post...oh yeah!

nmaxwell816
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Go read the krazy coupon ladys blog

itzmyzoo
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I love iheartpublix.com!!! They do all the matchups between sales and coupons and even put up the links to printable coupons!
clairewait
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I think there is definitely a learning curve, and if you push yourself too quickly you will become overwhelmed and burn out easily.

I actually encourage most people to start saving money in their budget WITHOUT coupons first, and then add coupons as they figure things out. Because, seriously, using coupons doesn't automatically mean you are saving money, if you haven't been practicing some smart shopping techniques already.

Think about it. Fifty cents off a full priced item might seem like a savings, but what if you waited a week and got that item at HALF price because it went on sale? You know?

I've written all my best advice here: How To Lower Your Grocery Budget Without Using Coupons

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

circupon
by Member on May. 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Quoting clairewait:

I think there is definitely a learning curve, and if you push yourself too quickly you will become overwhelmed and burn out easily.

I actually encourage most people to start saving money in their budget WITHOUT coupons first, and then add coupons as they figure things out. Because, seriously, using coupons doesn't automatically mean you are saving money, if you haven't been practicing some smart shopping techniques already.

Think about it. Fifty cents off a full priced item might seem like a savings, but what if you waited a week and got that item at HALF price because it went on sale? You know?

I've written all my best advice here: How To Lower Your Grocery Budget Without Using Coupons

Not a bad idea at all! Shop weekly sales first and then figure out how to get the coupons you need from either printable sources like Coupons.com, Smartsource,com, Couponnetwork.com; the Sunday Paper coupons inserts and in-store coupons (Target, Walgreens, etc). Good luck! Happy to chat anytime.

emeraldangel20
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM

okay so, start clow, coupon when items are on sale, don't go crazy, don't start too fast, price match

okie doke

when i do my first trip with coupons i'll update. idk when that'll be

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN