Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

6 simple fixes can save you money

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

Did you know that finding 6 ways to save $10 every month could net you a savings of $720 a year? Here are 6 common culprits that drain your finances:

1. Overpaying for Your Smartphone
2. Hidden Fees on Monthly Bills
3. Storage Unit Fees
4. Buying Instead of Renting Equipment
5. Not Bundling Services or Policies
6. Hoarding Your Credit Card Rewards

Have you noticed any of these going on with your finances? What simple fixes have you made that have saved you money?

by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Thanks
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
our phones drain our bank account but I haven't found a cheap prepaid that gives me good service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Thank you for sharing

bookworm14
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Have you checked out Straight Talk....sold at Walmart?  Smart-phone plans are $45 a month, unlimited everything.  The best part is that you choose a phone that uses Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc towers....so you get the service for those companies without having a contract with them.

I just switched from Sprint. After an employee discount, I was paying $71 a month for 450 anytime minutes & unlimited everything else.  While the phones can be pricy as an initial cost, the difference from the 71 to 45 is crucial for me.

Quoting matreshka:

our phones drain our bank account but I haven't found a cheap prepaid that gives me good service.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Its not always cheaper... 45 x 3 would be more than I pay for our three lines with T mobile (family plan)

Quoting bookworm14:

Have you checked out Straight Talk....sold at Walmart?  Smart-phone plans are $45 a month, unlimited everything.  The best part is that you choose a phone that uses Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc towers....so you get the service for those companies without having a contract with them.

I just switched from Sprint. After an employee discount, I was paying $71 a month for 450 anytime minutes & unlimited everything else.  While the phones can be pricy as an initial cost, the difference from the 71 to 45 is crucial for me.

Quoting matreshka:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Very true, I didn't take into account anyone with multiple phones.  I'm paying for a phone just for myself, so that was my immediate thought.

Quoting conniejo75:

Its not always cheaper... 45 x 3 would be more than I pay for our three lines with T mobile (family plan)

Quoting bookworm14:

Quoting matreshka:

AzariahsMother
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Thanks
matreshka
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I haven't checked straight talk out. I've just used virgin mobile and net 10 and they were horrible. They also work off of others towers but the connections were horrible.

Quoting bookworm14:

Quoting matreshka:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM

We had a storage unit for about 7 years.  When we finally cleaned it out, we ended up getting rid of most of the stuff anyway.  Then I made the mistake of adding up what we'd spent on that storage unit.  Then I sat down and cried.  LOL!

bookworm14
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I'm sure it will vary by area, but my boyfriend had troubles with Sprint connection issues. Got a Verizon phone and hasn't had those issues any more. I haven't experienced the companies you noted. Just wanted to share an idea :-) i was able to keep my number too

Quoting matreshka:

I haven't checked straight talk out. I've just used virgin mobile and net 10 and they were horrible. They also work off of others towers but the connections were horrible.

Quoting bookworm14:

Quoting matreshka:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)