Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to need a lot of support this month!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 26 Replies
So I had my son 5 weeks ago and before he was born I was doing so good with our budget! I was keeping under our grocery budget and we were paying our bills earlier in the month so we could have an extra check at the end of the month to put in savings. Well Noah was born in April, hubby took two weeks vacation time to help me because I was taking quite a bit of time to heal. He was only back at work for a week and a half before he hurt his knee and has been home for two weeks!! He is getting workers comp but we are still waiting for his checks. And all the while I'm watching our savings deplete and my budget go out the window. So, I am going to see if we can make it till July 1st without buying any more grocerys!! We have PLENTY of food so I don't think that will be the issue. Our issue is dh will want something so he goes to the store and spends a lot of money! I love him but he is NOT frugal at all!

Here's to hoping I can get back on track!
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Melissa on May. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

hope everything works out for you!

jobseeker
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

have you applied for WIC and food stamps?  You can get emergency aid for food at least.  Good luck and I'll pray for you...

KateyBrands
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I do have wic thankfully so I don't buy formula. We have the money, that's not the issue. I just HATE spending so much money all the time. We have a deep freezer full of meat and frozen veggies. Plenty to get us through the month. The hard part is going to be actually using it and not going to the store because I'm craving something.

Quoting jobseeker:

have you applied for WIC and food stamps?  You can get emergency aid for food at least.  Good luck and I'll pray for you...

jobseeker
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The point of getting food stamps is not for immediate needs, but to stock it up.  you will be using your savings for other things, use your food stamps and save your own money.  Listen, i'ts a benefit you paid into.  I used it only for 1 month, but it helped.  I hate to see people who use public assistance year after year, but I also hate to see people let their pride get in their way.  I know your husband will be back to work within a month or so, but you need help now.  

One of my dear friends' husband was hurt on the job and what she thought would be a couple of months turned into 14 months.  Prepare yourself.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Sorry he isn't frugal it would help if he was . Hope he is able to go back to work soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Congrats on baby as well :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KateyBrands
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We actually don't qualify for food stamps. They say DH makes too much. I also couldn't get Medicaid or chips when I was pregnant so we had to pay for everything ourselves. It was a miracle we qualified for wic even. 

And we go to the doc for his knee on Monday. If the swelling hasn't gone down they will give him a steroid shot in the knee. Then we will go from there. Thankfully he's actually getting paid right now. Not as much as he normall would but enough to cover the bills

Quoting jobseeker:

The point of getting food stamps is not for immediate needs, but to stock it up.  you will be using your savings for other things, use your food stamps and save your own money.  Listen, i'ts a benefit you paid into.  I used it only for 1 month, but it helped.  I hate to see people who use public assistance year after year, but I also hate to see people let their pride get in their way.  I know your husband will be back to work within a month or so, but you need help now.  

One of my dear friends' husband was hurt on the job and what she thought would be a couple of months turned into 14 months.  Prepare yourself.

CafeMom Tickers
JakeandEmmasMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hugs.  That is such a rough thing to go through.

JakeandEmmasMom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Congrats on the baby!

KateyBrands
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Him being hurt sucks. Depleting our small savings sucks. But we are so blessed to be together as a family and that's all that counts really. We have a roof over our head and our bills are paid. And we have way more than enough food (I'm a food stocker, if I find something I get more than just enough for the month, which helps now!)

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Hugs.  That is such a rough thing to go through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)