Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having kids pay for some of their summer fun

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 10 Replies
My kids get money for birthdays, toothfairy, doing chores and selling some things they help make at our craftshows or yard sales. We keep it in their own envelopes and have them save it. Through the school year if they have things like donate $1 for jean day or they want to buy things from library or treats a recess I make them pay for it. But what about summer things we do. One of my cafemom friends is vacationing down here this we so we are doing somethings with them. Most of the expense will be.the gas because the events are all 30 or more miles from me. But tomorrow night we are meeting them for putt putt golf and its $5 a kid to play so I was going to have them each pay $2.50. Is it too much to expect them to help pay for things like that? We are also giving them extra money for extra summer chores for them to save for summer vacation for souvenirs.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Oooh im torn on this one. I can see both sides but I think if it were my family I would consider this:
If my child chooses to make a donation or buy from a bake sale, that's their choice. But do they really have a choice behind family functions? Could they opt to stay home and not go putt putt golfing? If not, I wouldn't make them pay. If it was meeting with their friends to do that, sure. But not the other way around, kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
That's kinda why its only half. And Im paying them to do chores. So I kinda think of it as my way of saving for their fun things. But at the same time they are learning the value of.a$ and how expensive things are and how to earn more

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Oooh im torn on this one. I can see both sides but I think if it were my family I would consider this:
If my child chooses to make a donation or buy from a bake sale, that's their choice. But do they really have a choice behind family functions? Could they opt to stay home and not go putt putt golfing? If not, I wouldn't make them pay. If it was meeting with their friends to do that, sure. But not the other way around, kwim?
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I see what you're saying but I think chores is just a part of growing up and what they spend their money on should be 100% their choice.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

That's kinda why its only half. And Im paying them to do chores. So I kinda think of it as my way of saving for their fun things. But at the same time they are learning the value of.a$ and how expensive things are and how to earn more

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CJsMommy622
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I wouldn't since its a family outing. We put aside X amount for the kids to do fun things over the summer which covers more than enough, so if my oldest wanted to go do something that cost $ everyday with friends, that's when I'd start making him chip in. But he's only going to be 8. And I'd just be thrilled for him to even have a friend that I'd probably give him money for anything at this point :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I think they should have the choice to spend it or not.  Tell them "we are going to have the opportunity to play put-put golf.  If you want to play, you have to pay $2.50 per game".  I would not force them to spend their money if they didn't want to.  I don't think that's right.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have my kids pay for an activity at a family outing. I think they should be get to pick what they spend their money on. If they ask for something extra, that is different.
mudwrap
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM
I wouldn't.
JakeandEmmasMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

IDK...to me, if it's a family event where they don't really have the option to say that they don't want to do it, I wouldn't have them pay.  To me, the lesson with having them spend their own money is mostly in their decision about whether or not they want to spend their hard-earned money on whatever it is.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM
On family outings no, on things they choose on their own yes. But that's just how we work things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I wouldn't make them pay.  It's not like you are giving them a choice to stay home or play golf.  

Now...if they were there and wanted a slushie....that's on them.  I don't buy junk food.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)