Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Seasonal porch/yard decor on a frugal budget?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

Our front porch and yard area is really plain.  I would love to have it filled with beautiful flowers, shrubbery, and a few well chosen seasonal pieces.  But I really can't afford to just fly in and do everything that my imagination would love to do.  How do you fix up your yards and porches but do so frugally?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachel_2010
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I just pick one project a year. And usually spend the seasonal difference in hydro bill on yard stuff. So my yard has changed slowly over past five years. But I can still list a dozen things I want to do
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I don't fix up my yard or porch but I know people who do. They often share plants or find them in the wild and dig them up. Or sometimes they go to plant sales. I do put some plants on my wish list.

babygirl7161
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I don't have a porch to fix up. But maybe look at stores like big lots for the ornamental items and I know people that shop on the clearance plant racks at loews and home depot one lady got a plum tree that was mostly dead for like $5 and she planted it and she has had it for a few years now.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I got flower/shrub cuttings from family & friends...lilac and mock orange bushes, snow on the mountain, seedum, mums, roses....and I hit the end of season sales at local plant nurseries.

Dollar store decorations work great for seasonal items.

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I would really love to get some rose bushes and hydrangeas for the front.  But I'm afraid I would kill them, lol.  I'm thinking it would be best to take some time and research them before I try to put any in. 

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I like that idea about using the difference in the bill.  I think a slow approach is the way I'm going to need to go.  Maybe pick one project per year.

There is a lady in my town who has a huge wrap around porch.  She changes everything - decor, cushions, plants, all of it - for each season and then each holiday within the season.  It's just drop dead gorgeous and to die for.  I have porch and front yard envy, lol.

Quoting rachel_2010:

I just pick one project a year. And usually spend the seasonal difference in hydro bill on yard stuff. So my yard has changed slowly over past five years. But I can still list a dozen things I want to do

rachel_2010
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I've also started planting lots of fruit, strawberries this year. Saskatoon berries and raspberries. And rhubarb
And I only buy perrienial flowers, to attract bees to my Vege plants. I saved seeds from last year so I didn't have to buy as much

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I like that idea about using the difference in the bill.  I think a slow approach is the way I'm going to need to go.  Maybe pick one project per year.

There is a lady in my town who has a huge wrap around porch.  She changes everything - decor, cushions, plants, all of it - for each season and then each holiday within the season.  It's just drop dead gorgeous and to die for.  I have porch and front yard envy, lol.

Quoting rachel_2010:

MaskedMomma
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I make a lot of my decor, or upgrade $1 store stuff...end of season clerence adds up over the years too! I saved on sales at the grocery store and used the excess to buy more pots and planters for my (food) garden. Landlord won't let us plant in the ground :( I also see a lot of ads on craigslist under free stuff to come help people thin out their plants or trading plants which would be cool if the land lord would let us dig, but I'm not about to waste my containers on un-useful stuff. Although I do have some moonflower SO picked up cheap, said it reminded him of me. It looks like it'll be nice so I planted it so they will hang down on either side of the stairwell.
lyngerdam
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I was at Jo-Ann's yesterday and they were already discounting 4th of July stuff 70%. I pick stuff up at garage sales too. I decorate my front porch and balcony for 7/4, Easter, Halloween and Christmas. Don't fool around with Valentines or St. Patricks. But I like to switch it up - particularly when I can do it cheap.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Ask people with the beautiful flowers for a starter
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)