Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Help me plan a frugal vacation

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

This is definitely going to have to be a frugal vacation. Its actually not really a vacation, my husband is having surgery, but I figured since we were having to travel and we would be near the beach we could make it into a vacation.

We have to be in Jacksonville, FL on a Monday in August for my husbands surgery (its a simple out patient procedure) The mini vaca will have to happen before this since he won't be able to see or do anything for a few days after this.

We would leave on Friday and make it the whole weekend, but instead we have to travel in the opposite direction for my g-grandma's 97th birthday party that is on saturday. My grandma is planning it for lunch so at least we can leave early if we want to. 

So I'm trying to decide should we go on Saturday night so we can rest and spend all day Sunday enjoying the beach and seafood, or get up early sunday morning and go straight there (4 hr drive) that we we could avoid paying an extra night in the hotel.

We just found out the dates for this so I haven't saved up for it like I should have. Now I only have from now until then to save what we need. How can we make the most of this mini vacation? 

read my blog: www.rainingparade.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I get up and drive - let the kids sleep. I also pack snacks for them: fruit, yogurt, chips, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs and water. This helps with the munches when stopping to get gas or to stretch. Pack extra clothes - so you don't have to purchase more while traveling...since it sounds like you plan on eating while there (me too, I love sea food by the beach!), check out restaurant.com and see if they participate with any of your favorite locations, or check and see if the restaurants have free kids meals or coupons. If you have AAA, check to see if they have discounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paigea
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Do you mind tenting?  Is there a campground near by?  That would be one way to get up and already be at the beach.

Did a lot of tenting and traveling.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM
If it was winter maybe. I'm pregnant and its too dang hot. Lol. And the bugs down here are insane. Good idea though.

Quoting paigea:

Do you mind tenting?  Is there a campground near by?  That would be one way to get up and already be at the beach.

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I live in Jacksonville, it's too hot right now and mosquitos are annoying. Is your husband having his surgery at Mayo Clinic?

Quoting victoriaherring:

If it was winter maybe. I'm pregnant and its too dang hot. Lol. And the bugs down here are insane. Good idea though.

Quoting paigea:

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Priceline the hotel! You can often get a nice 3 or 4 star place for $60, check the reviews and get one with free breakfast buffet.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I would check groupon or living social to see if there are any hotel and food deals. You can always check Priceline, etc too
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM
No, at the naval hospital.

Quoting BeachLifeMama:

I live in Jacksonville, it's too hot right now and mosquitos are annoying. Is your husband having his surgery at Mayo Clinic?

Quoting victoriaherring:

Quoting paigea:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Definitely check the travel websites (expedia, priceline, travelocity, etc.) and Groupon.  You may find good deals for restaurants on Groupon too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)