Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what kind of grocery stock do you have?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
How long can you normally go without having to go to the grocery store? With the exception of fresh produce, eggs and dairy.

Usually I can go about 3-4 weeks because Im always buying things on sale and stocking up when I get really good sales. Unless we are.short on cash and I just can't go grocery shopping for a while I try to keep my freezer full. Except during late summer/early fall during the peak of hurricane season. We are currently letting our freezer stash go down so if we do get a storm and lose power we won't lose a lot of food.
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Literally MONTHS.  I don't eat the usual rice/dry beans/pasta/cereal/bread and I keep stocked on canned tuna and salmon, coconut milk, almond and coconut flour, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, and herbs/spices.  We have plenty of beef, pork, and chicken left.  I still have a few home canned goods and will begin canning more in August.  Most of our diet is fresh produce, eggs, meat, and what I have stocked in the pantry.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

It really depends on if I am doing good or not so good at meal planning at the time.  (I go through spurts).  LOL.  If I am doing well with meal planning I can easily go 3-4 weeks without buying anything besides fresh produce, eggs, and dairy. 

I do try to stock up on things that I know I use on a regular basis when they are on sale though.  I always have things like flour, sugar, rice, cream of mushroom soup, crackers, canned veggies, instant potatoes, and things like hamburger in the freezer.  Along with several other frequently used items.  

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

We use fresh foods mostly so we go once or twice a week.

lovemymini
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Not long..lol like 2ish weeks... My condo has no storage:/

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
About 2 weeks. It'd be longer if I had more freezer space for meat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachel_2010
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I go once a week, i buy mostly fresh stuff and where we live it goes bad in like a week b/c of how long it took to get to the store.

with that trip i usually have to buy a couple staples each time, like produce then dog food, or produce and hemp milk is on sale so i stock up.

Usually spend 100 a week, a little under.  Will have to start shopping with cash so will have to watch more carefully...

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Maybe a month or so.  That is on staple items.  I have a upright freezer.  I stock up on meat, frozen veggies etc.

MooreBoysMama
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM
6 months if you include the freezer. We remodeled our laundry room & added a pantry (still under construction) I am only purchasing fresh produce, milk, bread & Diet Coke. I don't want to have to move it. I would also like to scale it back.
SlightlyPerfect
Chanting. "4 more weeks."
Yesterday at 8:14 PM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I stock up, but so much of my menu is fresh, I have to shop often.

slightlyperfect

ericahager2005
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Depends on the time of year. During the winter months my freezer is full. Like op during hurricaine season we use what is in the freezer. Always have rice pasta pasta sauce beans tuna salmon can fruits and veggies on hand in addition to frozen. I only use cans during emergency but they're there. Fiber one orgeneric version. Juice. Iced tea mix. Crystal light lemonaide dry milk....almond milk (shelf milk) juice concentrate etc. I can usually go months without shopping if dire need. I am obsessed with storing everything in rubbermaid cannisters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)