Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Anyone tent camp?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've only done it once I'm looking for bare essentials. The kids want to start tenting at state parks and beaches. I found a 6 person tent at aldi for 40.00. Not sure what else I need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM

sleeping bags... I'm not sure what else. I'm the type of camper that thinks of air mattresses and fans or portable air conditioners.. I don't do good outdoors in the summer.

cjsix
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a Rubbermaid container( not an 18 gallon but,the one that's just a bit shorter) that we put our plastic dishes in,along with the clothesline,dish soap,silverware,a pan or two that can go on the fire,clothespins,matches...things like that and then while camping we use that container as a dishpan to wash the dishes in.

Lantern,flashlights,a radio...they now have some that you crank for the power and they last quite awhile. Some also have a weather channel.

We do use air mattresses. I have alot of arthritis and need to have one which has multiple layers also because of the height.

Don't forget that even if it's hot out you want lightweight long sleeve shirts,sweatshirts and jeans or sweatpants for at night...cooler air and mosquitoes.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I take a tarp and lay that down before I put the tent up.
Agree with ^^ poster about the Rubbermaid container - we did that last time and it was great!
Cooler with food, case of water, extra batteries and tent stakes...
Playing cards and games for at night, we used a roll of this green "caution" tape to mark off where the kids could go, kind of like boundaries...
A dustpan and brush for cleaning out the tent...
We had a battery powered fan we hung from the middle of our tent...
Glow stick
Hand warmers!! You can stick them in your sleeping bags if it does get chilly.

The family we went with last time forgot their hygiene stuff - toothpaste, soap, TP...I'm all about being in nature but DON'T FORGET YOUR TOOTH BRUSH!!!!! I told them to brush their teeth with a smashed twig like cavemen - don't think they'll be going with us again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Bump
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Previous posters hit some good ones.

i love tent camping....but it's definately not for everyone. 

my4boys2002
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Thanks ladies I wrote a lot of stuff down. We decided to wait and buy a large tent at end of season. I'm in love with the Coleman hampton 9 person tent but I don't want to pay 200.00 for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

get a larger tent then you think you might need...

a large tarp or two..one for under the tent, one for over if needed

air mattress, WARM sleeping bags (i'm in co and it can drop into the 30's in the mountains even in summer), cooking gear, waterproof matches, a well stocked first aid kit (add a snake bite kit, sharpie, liquid benedryl),  2 plastic tubs, water containers, trash bags (carry out what you bring in), bug spray, sun block, tp, paper towels, fabric towels,crank laterns and solar lights (the yard ones work great), tent stakes, a mallet for pounding stakes in, a bar of soap, a sm container of dawn, spices for cooking (tic tac containers work great for bringing a small amount of anything),  we always bring a gun with (we camp in mountains with bears, mountain lions, etc) ,  a 5 gal bucket with potty seat attachment and bags has been a lifesaver when bringing potty training kids,  layer up on the clothes and bring a few more socks then you think you need,   folding table, camp chairs, pillows can be nice,  a pocket knife with scissors,

always let someone know where you are planning to camp and what day you are going to be back, and make sure you call them when you get back. Then if something happens and you need help you can be found.

call state/national parks before you try and tent camp. Some areas won't allow it due to the wild life in the area

don't forget life jackets, fishing poles, fishing gear, catch line and bait if you are going to be near water.

If i think of anything else i'll add it in another color.  We camp alot and I'm actually starting to plan our camping trip for next month.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I've tent camped many times.  You will want to put a tarp underneath the tent.  To extra keep things dry inside when you sleep.  If you can get a Thermo Cell Bug repellant thing. They have them at sporting good stores and Walmart.  Those were the best at keeping the bugs away. Especially the mosquitos.  One Thermo Cell pad last like 8 hours.  Some basic cookware you can use in a campfire or on a camp stove.  I used to have some cast iron stuff.  If this is going to be a regular thing you do.  Some good air mattresses would be great.  Nothing worse than sleeping on hard ground in a sleeping bag.   Me always packed our clothes in plastic tubs with tight fitting lids.  It kept your things nice and dry.   I have a coleman camp stove.  That is great for things you might not want to cook in the camp fire.  Us we used to do a lot of zero impact cooking.  Less to clean up later. You can't forget a well stocked first aid kit.  We also had a portable canapy we'd set up.  So we had somewhere to sit if it rained out.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah. I bought a adjustable height comode at a resale for 5$.  It was a life saver.  Heaven for bid at night time would the john metro's have lights in them.   Bring  plenty of bottled water for drinking and cooking. You don't know how the water will be in some camp grounds.  Coolers for all your parishible foods.  Unless you are in a site with electric. And bring a dorm size fridge.   Tubs with tight fitting lids for all your non parishible foods.  There will be wild animals like raccoons in camp grounds.  Put a heavy rock on the lid of that top.  So the animals can't pop the lid open.  Helping themselves to your food.  Or put the tub in the trunk of your car.    I warned a family who never camped before Dh and I are seasoned campers.. When we went on a outing at the Boy Scout Camp with a bunch of Cub Scouts.  They left a cardboard box on the picnic table with a loaf of bread and smore fixings. I said the animals will eat it.   Sure enough the next morning.  Raccoons or squirrels ripped it all open and ate.  Rain poncho's you can pick up for cheap at the Dollar tree.  You can find some nifty camping things in the resale shops.  For a fraction of the cost of buying them from sporting goods stores.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Not in a long time. Thought about camping in the back yard til we found a snake back there the other night.

What the prior posters wrote are things we would take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN