Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Do I Always Have to Drive to Them?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 25 Replies
Most of my friends and family live 45min+ away and I'm beginning to notice that if I wanna see any of them, I have to drive to them. Its always at their parks or their house and if I invite them out by me, they cant or its only for a very short time. My mom only comes over for Christmas and birthday parties. Its starting to get annoying because I'll be having a second child in October and it wont be easy to jump in the car and drive long distances. Not to mention, the gas is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to pay more to see my friends and family all the time. With it being summertime, gas prices are higher and I feel like im breaking the budget for playdates.
Anyone else have this problem, any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM
My problem isn't exactly the same but my mom lives 45 mins away. She has the pool and the boat docked in the backyard. Any family gatherings are at her house. Its bigger and nicer than mine. They don't come here unless they are passing through to baton rouge or the kids are having a party or like when i had Jacob mom came here to help because the bigger kids had school. My house isnt really company friendly. Lol. So if mom knows money is tight and Im having to go to her house a lot she does offer some gas money. But i also have family and friends in baton rouge which is 30-40mins from me. I don't get to see them as much as i want.
KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

That stinks. My friends and family all live in a nicer suburb, and we live in the city. But our apartment itself, I'd like to think, is kept pretty nice and the parks I take DD to rival theirs so I don't understand. I feel kind of insulted sometimes. 

And DD is starting to notice. Several times last week she asked me how come her friends never come over and how come Gammie and Papa never come over. She wants to share her toys and show them her room.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

My problem isn't exactly the same but my mom lives 45 mins away. She has the pool and the boat docked in the backyard. Any family gatherings are at her house. Its bigger and nicer than mine. They don't come here unless they are passing through to baton rouge or the kids are having a party or like when i had Jacob mom came here to help because the bigger kids had school. My house isnt really company friendly. Lol. So if mom knows money is tight and Im having to go to her house a lot she does offer some gas money. But i also have family and friends in baton rouge which is 30-40mins from me. I don't get to see them as much as i want.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Have HER call and ask. Make them.feel guilty. If i really wanted my parents to do something for the kids or take them for me I had them call them and aSk my mom couldn't say no to a 3yr old. Lol

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

That stinks. My friends and family all live in a nicer suburb, and we live in the city. But our apartment itself, I'd like to think, is kept pretty nice and the parks I take DD to rival theirs so I don't understand. I feel kind of insulted sometimes. 

And DD is starting to notice. Several times last week she asked me how come her friends never come over and how come Gammie and Papa never come over. She wants to share her toys and show them her room.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
That's a great idea!! I also think that because I'm a sahm my family thinks I have nothing better to do than drive to their house on the weekends. I wanna see them too, especially since my grandma gets out of her nursing home and I can see her but I'd appreciate a little effort on their part too.
Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Have HER call and ask. Make them.feel guilty. If i really wanted my parents to do something for the kids or take them for me I had them call them and aSk my mom couldn't say no to a 3yr old. Lol

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That really stinks. have you invited them and they either say no or turn the tables? We have a fairly small condo and right now it's an absolute mess because we haven't had ANY visitors for well over 6 months, not even someone stopping by for quick visit, so we've had no motivation to get it tidied up, but we DO like entertaining so it's sad to me that no one has come to visit. Our family isn't as close, 200 miles being the closest, but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to visit. We've gone to MIL's 3 times since the last time they came and when we went last time, there was NO talk of any future visits for them our way. it's so frustrating to always give but never get. and with little ones, really, the adults who don't have kids should be the ones traveling. My daughter gets so excited when people come to visit, she wants them to play with her toys and see her room and just be in HER space. I didn't buy a house for other people, but I certainly am not ashamed of our house or anything, and to be honest, I NEED the motivation of visitors to keep the place cleaner! LOL whatever it takes, right? 

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I've noticed that with friends of mine that have moved to Denver or cheyenne. it stinks. oh, we need to plan another zoo trip soon :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

thats no fun, sorry

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Yes, please! Wanna meet us in Broomfield for Berry picking soon?

Quoting RosePetalTears:

I've noticed that with friends of mine that have moved to Denver or cheyenne. it stinks. oh, we need to plan another zoo trip soon :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kearaloves1
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont have nice advice lol with my personality id say screw them and wait till they really want to see me and actually drive over to me to prove it.....shhhhffffpfff

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM
They always decline! Funny you should mention cleaning though, 5min after I posted this my sister called to say they're on their way to drop off a bed frame for my daughter and I cleaned like a mad woman!! She's never been to my place before so I wanted to give a good impression. Spent 2 hours and cleaned the whole apartment!! Nothing like the threat of company to make you see all the mess and get to work LOL

Quoting Marz31:

That really stinks. have you invited them and they either say no or turn the tables? We have a fairly small condo and right now it's an absolute mess because we haven't had ANY visitors for well over 6 months, not even someone stopping by for quick visit, so we've had no motivation to get it tidied up, but we DO like entertaining so it's sad to me that no one has come to visit. Our family isn't as close, 200 miles being the closest, but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to visit. We've gone to MIL's 3 times since the last time they came and when we went last time, there was NO talk of any future visits for them our way. it's so frustrating to always give but never get. and with little ones, really, the adults who don't have kids should be the ones traveling. My daughter gets so excited when people come to visit, she wants them to play with her toys and see her room and just be in HER space. I didn't buy a house for other people, but I certainly am not ashamed of our house or anything, and to be honest, I NEED the motivation of visitors to keep the place cleaner! LOL whatever it takes, right? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)