Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

lord he's gonna be 40

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
my husband that is. In September so Im planning a surprise party for him which will only be 3 weeks after my dds 8th birthday party sleepover. That one will be really frugal. I've already got the hot Dogs and chili. And going to get a few bags of chips and some fruit and a can of baked beans for dinner. Its a makeover party and mom is a Mary Kay consultant so she has a ton of sample stuff so that's free and we can watch movies on netflix. And donuts for breakfast. The whole party including the cake will be around $60-$70.

So does anyone have any frugal ideas for "fancy" foods and cool decorations?
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I made fruit cups out of hollowed apples and filled them with fruit salad once and they were a big hit.
Artichoke dip is fancy but frugal.
Dollar tree has a lot of clear plastic punch bowls and trays and things like that that look nice alone or can be spruced up with ribbon or fancy patterned paper.
If your dh is into anything in particular you'd like to incorporate in the party you could use pinterest for ideas. They have some awesome frugal party ideas that dont look 'cheap'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Im good on party trays and dishes. Im doing the party at my moms and between the 2 of us we have plenty. I have a few from wedding gifts and she has collected many over her years. She entertains a lot

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I made fruit cups out of hollowed apples and filled them with fruit salad once and they were a big hit.

Dollar tree has a lot of clear plastic punch bowls and trays and things like that that look nice alone or can be spruced up with ribbon or fancy patterned paper.

If your dh is into anything in particular you'd like to incorporate in the party you could use pinterest for ideas. They have some awesome frugal party ideas that dont look 'cheap'
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

The fruit cups sound great!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Ah. I seem to have mostly kid friendly stuff from birthday parties lol. You could also do mini quiches and finger sandwiches

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Im good on party trays and dishes. Im doing the party at my moms and between the 2 of us we have plenty. I have a few from wedding gifts and she has collected many over her years. She entertains a lot

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I loved them! I plan to do them again for dd's birthday in January

Quoting matreshka:

The fruit cups sound great!

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Love a surprise
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM

how fun

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

meatballs in crockpot might be something to consider

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Great idea

Quoting aneela:

meatballs in crockpot might be something to consider

ericahager2005
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Baked brie is fancy and relatvely frugal. Easy to make too. Take a pie crust (refrig or homemade and lay flat on baking sheet. Sprinkle on slivered almonds in center in a circle about same size as your brie. Next drizzle a tiny bit of honey or brown sugar on the almonds next plop the brie on top of this. Rind on! Paper off...More almonds on top of this (be more generous more honey or sugar about 1t to 1T....enough to lightly cover it dont drown or it makes a gooey mess ...taking each corner of pie crust fold to center carefully making a package of it pinch top as you go so you get pretty folds. Take 4 to 5 pretty shaped al ond slivers and carefully place in center to make a flower shape...just make a cir le they look petal shaped. Brush with egg and bake in 325 oven until browned. If you need to reheat wrap in tin foil. Yummmmy. Can also add apples and cinamo n or all sorts of jams or marmalades in place of honey. Honey is cheapest and the cheaper you go with honey the better it tastes lol.some use puff pastry but that gets tricky as does other doughs. I mixed ideas from other recipes and this is biggest hit and easiest and cheapest.....look for coupons on brie its only slightly expensive thing in it.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

my husband that is. In September so Im planning a surprise party for him which will only be 3 weeks after my dds 8th birthday party sleepover. That one will be really frugal. I've already got the hot Dogs and chili. And going to get a few bags of chips and some fruit and a can of baked beans for dinner. Its a makeover party and mom is a Mary Kay consultant so she has a ton of sample stuff so that's free and we can watch movies on netflix. And donuts for breakfast. The whole party including the cake will be around $60-$70.

So does anyone have any frugal ideas for "fancy" foods and cool decorations?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)