Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you feed 20 people party food cheap? *ETA Thanks!* *ETA What I ended up doing*

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 108 Replies

My son's 4th birthday party is in 2 weeks. We have an immediate family of almost 20, half of whom are big eaters. How can I do this on the cheap? We usually do a BBQ, but that gets expensive because they don't just eat a hot dog. The big eaters will eat a hot dog or two, a hamburger and whatever chicken or steak kabobs we make. Plus, chips, cookies, etc. The one time I tried to just do cake and ice cream it didn't work and I ended up going to the store because everyone expected it.

*I know that sounds like they are bad people. They aren't. They just eat to socialize. I really think that once they have kids and have the whole family over they will see just how hard it is to do. My husband doesn't want to lose face by telling them straight up we need to down size our parties. Four kid birthdays, 3 of which are in the warm months almost in a row, are tanking us. Especially since this year we held a get together for when hubby's dad came into town a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions, Ladies.

(Also, they are sort of picky so nothing heavy on veggies or fruit or salads. They just leave them sit. 8( )

Thanks for all the help, ladies! I'm reading every reply even if I don't respond personally to each. I have been getting some great ideas! I'm also get getting hungry reading about all this yummy food!

*After nixing a cookoff ;) I served a HUGE pork loin that I got on sale for $10, two types of meatballs, beans, several chips and pretzels, homemade rice crispie treats, hotdogs, and a few other things. It was a little less but baking a lot of homemade treats helped to distract everyone from the lack of meal food. LOL It was a successful party! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to use some of the other suggestions like tacos or pasta for my daughter's party next month. 8)

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Dollar store chips

Sloppy joes (stretches 1 lb. ground beef or turkey to make 8 to 10 sandwiches instead of 4 burgers)

homemade potato or macaroni salad (make ahead of time)

homemade baked beans (can be in a crockpot)

cake & ice cream

bl4ckr0se
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

You could make a selection of pasta dishes or buy value cakes and jazz them up

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I have no idea... Its rude to eat up someone's food IMO. I'm glad you threw in that disclaimer lol.i agree with sloppy joes, just skip man wich and make it from scratch.
DACIA79
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
4 moms liked this
A Mexican food theme could go along way and Tacos are kid friendly.
mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Tacos!
mem82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thanks! I didn't think about sloopy joes. I wonder if they will eat them? I love those things. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Dollar store chips

Sloppy joes (stretches 1 lb. ground beef or turkey to make 8 to 10 sandwiches instead of 4 burgers)

cake & ice cream

bl4ckr0se
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

a bbq will be too expensive. A buffet will work out cheaperx I usally make egg mayo buns but only cut them in half so there is more.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

That might not be a bad idea. like a pasta bar or something? I don't know how picky they are about stuff like that.

Quoting bl4ckr0se:

You could make a selection of pasta dishes or buy value cakes and jazz them up

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

LOL When I first married my husband, it drove me nuts.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

I have no idea... Its rude to eat up someone's food IMO. I'm glad you threw in that disclaimer lol.i agree with sloppy joes, just skip man wich and make it from scratch.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I have a Copycat Manwich sauce recipe in the frugalista recipes post.

If they don't want them, tough.  They can fill up on macaroni salad and potato salad and chips.

Quoting mem82:

Thanks! I didn't think about sloopy joes. I wonder if they will eat them? I love those things. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Dollar store chips

cake & ice cream

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)