Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth? (DE)

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

We dont intend to eat it, but we are batting a horrifc flea problem, despite using Advantage ii. I've bombed, dipped, combed and steamed every inch of this house and I'm going insane. We aren't getting bit but every day I find at least 50 more on the kitten, and believ it or not I'm making headway.

I've heard this stuff is decent.. anyone ever try it? Tractor supply has a 20lb bag for 13$..and I figured I could sprinkle it around the house, yard, rub it into the pets...

Advice? Suggestions? 

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM
I may have tried it last summer, I can't remember. I tried everything before finally calling the exterminator. We all were getting bit, not just the cat!
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I use it for my chickens and in my yard.    Sprinkle it everywhere.    For fleas/mite issues I use a mix of DE and pure wood ash and I cover my birds in it.  I haven't needed to use any chemicals yet.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I've never even heard of it.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Our vet told us to use baking soda. We had to buy the big bags and poured it on our dogs, all over the carpets and couches.
I've heard of this DE working for lots of things, including fleas.
I really hope it works for you - I know how miserable dealing with that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dcjgar01
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I heard it works.

jsbuck
by Janet on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I haven't used it for fleas, but I have used it for ants....IT WORKS!  The lady at the feed store told me she used it on her pets for fleas.

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I've used it for my chickens and garden walk ways, mainly to dry up muddy ground.  Of course, I'm sure the chickens ate some of it which is always a good thing.  You can sprinkle it everywhere, mix it in with your animal's food and also rub it into their fur.  Don't go too crazy with it though because you don't want to breath too much of it in ~ and also wash your hands really well when you're done handling it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)