Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Beef Prices Spike Just in Time for Fourth of July: 6 Ways to Save Money

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 5 Replies

Beef Prices Spike Just in Time for Fourth of July: 6 Ways to Save Money

by Adriana Velez 

hamburgerJust in time for your 4th of July cookout! Beef just got more expensive. Prices are up by as much as 61 percent this summer -- record highs. A pound of ground beef cost around $2.99 last year; this year it's $3.31. I guess that's not a huge difference -- except I think we've all seen how a few extra cents here and there can really add up on your grocery bill.

So if you are trying to stay on a budget with your Independence Day celebrations, what can you do? As far as red meat goes, it really doesn't get much cheaper than ground beef. Well, we have a few suggestions.

1. Add more ingredients to your patties. Hey, restaurants do it -- why not you? Some people add breadcrumbs to their patties, but you could add chopped veggies, herbs, even black olives (try it, seriously). A hamburger doesn't have to be 100 percent beef to be tasty.

2. Look for sales and specials. But you knew that already. Check your circulars for coupons -- you know the drill.

3. Make sliders instead. We like to think of meat as the main course, but you could switch things up a bit and make little sliders as apps. Then make your party more about the corn-on-the-cob, the macaroni salad, the watermelon.

4. Buy directly from a farm. This is what I do. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but it's worth the trouble to see if there's a farm-share or meat-buying club in your area. If you buy from a small, local, family-run farm, this is better for the farmer as well.

5. Pork, the other, um, red meat. Let's not pretend pork is like chicken. It comes from an even-toed ungulate (cloven-hoofed mammal). And a pork burger is pretty darn good eating.

6. Eat less meat. I know it sounds radical. It won't turn you into a Communist or anything like that, I swear! But maybe limit everyone to just one, medium-sized hamburger?

Personally, I think meat is already insanely cheap, especially ground beef. This is an ANIMAL we've killed for food. Shouldn't it kind of cost a bit? Farmers have been feeding it and watering it and housing it. Maybe instead of lowering prices on meat, we need to change how we think about it. Just an idea.

How do you save money on beef?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

We don't eat red meat.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We save by buying directly from the farmer...although by the time all's said and done I'm actually paying more than I would in the store.  However, the quality is sooo much better, the meat is healthier for us to eat because it's not raised in a feed lot, it's not treated with chemicals to keep it looking fresh, and it's packaged a lot better than store bought meat (vacuum sealed in heavy plastic rather than ultra thin plastic.)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

How to save prices on beef on the 4th of July? 

We're having pork spareribs!

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
We stock up on ground meat when its on sale and buy in bulk. The 5lb roll of ground beef is 1.99lb this week at my local grocery this week. If I didnt already have some in.the freezer that I got last time and another few packs that my inlaws gave I would be buying 2 instead of 1 roll today. And then I got hot dogs $.59/pack so the kids will eat those mostly tonight. We will have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I buy it when its on sale. When I can eat solids it has to be protein. . (Medical complication) so I stock up or buy at the commissary.

Its 1.99/lb ground beef here for 85% lean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN