Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I Need Help Pricing My Stuff For a Garage Sale

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 23 Replies

Any ladies out there have successful garage sales and are good at garage sale pricing? I could really use your help! I would like to have a garage sale but I'm not sure how to price items fairly. Please share with me exactly how much you price your stuff for. Thanks so much!

Edit: I should probably give you an idea of some of the stuff i have that I'd like to sell:

Tons of toys, ie., Polly pockets, barbies, tons of barbie clothes, a huge barbie playhouse, my littlest pet shop figures and playsets, my little ponies-same, lots of ponies and playsets, play-doe playset, strawberry shortcake, play jewelry, little tykes vanity, kitchen, washer/dryer, army action figures-tons of army toys, books, games, I could go on and on but I have a ton of toys!

Lots and lots of kids clothes.

2 aquariums-10 gal and 20, both with accessories. 20 gal has stand too. Small side tables, a fold-out twin bed, a white headboard/bookshelf, a few decorative shelves, unfinished kitchen chairs-I'm never going to get the chance to finish them!, candelabra-what did I think i was going to do with this???, rugs, blankets, I think I could be here for awhile!!!

Throw pillows, throw blankets, small furniture,, lamps, candles, decorative items, ie., picture frames,wall art, mirrors,  paintings, floral arrangements, vases, glassware, dish ware/sets, the list can go on and on.....

This is just a sample. Btw, I could really use the money right now so I'm really hoping to make as much as I can and get the garage back!lol!

Please help me with a listing of your items that you have sold at your garage sale and how much you sold them for. I know I'm asking a lot, but if you're bored and have a little time to spare, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks again!:)

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never done a garage sale, but my advice would be to price stuff at what you would pay for it at a garage sale.

Blestmomof3
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What kind of stuff are you selling?

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I just had one and I made four hundred dollars. One hundred and 20 of that was a drum kit.

I priced clothes at 50 for tees and onsies. 75 cents for pants, long sleeved shirts, etc.

I priced 2 piece items at $2.

I sold a *very* nice play pen for $45, a *very* nice high chair for $30. Other play pens and high chair I sold for between $15 and $25 bucks.

My husband sold some stuff, too, but it was old gaming systems.

redi4change
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I just added a sample list. Please help! Lol! 

Quoting Blestmomof3:

What kind of stuff are you selling?

redi4change
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Our  garage is packed. I feel very overwhelmed. I also feel guilty that I haven't done anything sooner because it's been like this for awhile and we've not been able to use our garage. if you saw my garage, you would think I was a hoarder. I added a sample list to my post. Do you think when you get a chance, you could look it over and tell me what you think? 

Quoting mem82:

I just had one and I made four hundred dollars. One hundred and 20 of that was a drum kit.

I priced clothes at 50 for tees and onsies. 75 cents for pants, long sleeved shirts, etc.

I priced 2 piece items at $2.

I sold a *very* nice play pen for $45, a *very* nice high chair for $30. Other play pens and high chair I sold for between $15 and $25 bucks.

My husband sold some stuff, too, but it was old gaming systems.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Have you thought about making a list on craiglist ad listing most of the stuff. Then on the day of the garage sale make it best offer? It would take quite a while to price all that. I would just say, 'Make an offer' and then dicker from there. 

Aquariums, side tables, rugs, I would list at about $12 bucks.

Pillows, frames, vases, glassware, dishes, mirrors would be between $1 and $5.

fold out twin bed- $25 or best offer. kitchen chairs $5 a piece.

You have enough stuff that you can afford to price it low. It's better to move a lot of lower price stuff than trying to price it higher and not saling a ton of it.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

price low to sell

Blestmomof3
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I would bag up little things like Polly pockets, ponies and pet shop figurines and price them at $1 for about 10-12 little items.   Larger things like the play houses I would do $2 or $3 for a medium type house and $3-5 for a larger one.   If it's really clean charge the larger amt or if there are crayon smudges or they are a little grimy then the lesser amt.  Vanity-8-12,  kitchen 10-20.

Kids clothes I would do $8-10 for as much as they can fit in a plastic grocery bag.   You provide the bags.  Otherwise $1 a piece for tops and bottoms and maybe $2-3 for nicer dresses and coats.

Aquariums $10, side tables 10-25 depending on material they are made out of and condition, bed 25, headboard 15-20, sm household items knick knacks.25, shelves and pictures, $1,   

Pillows .50, blankets $1

dish sets $5, glassware .25 a piece, lamps 1-2, 

I bought a fairly new country style candelabra for 10, rugs 5-10, unfinished chairs 10-15 each.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

It always depends on what kind of condition it's in and how much a person can get it brand new. Of course you always want to be at least 50% off what they would buy it full price and then you have to remember it's used so another deduction.  Then is it that you want to just get rid of the items or are you really trying to make a profit?  Children's clothes I would always do .50 cents for shirts, and $1 for pants.  Maybe $2.50 for full outfits.  Adults I would double so $1 for shirts, $2 for pants unless brand name then maybe an extra $1.  With toy I think you just have to go with the flow.  I mean when it's playsets depending on how big I says $5, little items maybe $2-.50 cents. 

Hope this gets you started.  Good Luck!

countryglammer
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

have you ever made grab bags for the toys?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)