Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Starter Pet?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 41 Replies
My DD, 3yrs old, has been begging for a pet for months! We cant have cats/dogs in our apt. But we thought about getting her something for Christmas. I'm not keen on hamsters cause they often smell and die quickly. Also because we have mice in the winter time and I dont want another rodent LOL
A fish seems so....idk, Lame, I guess. Anyone ever own a turtle? Are those inexpensive and easy? We also dont have space for a giant enclosure. Any ideas? I start shopping around for Christmas now so while I wouldn't get the actual pet, I could get the equipment or anything needed for one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Turtles are sensitive and can carry salmonella. Not recommended for little a who still put their hands in their mouths or all over their faces. We had(brother still has her) a tortoise, since we were 12/15 (we're in our 30s now).
Do a fish - fairly cheap, semi-easy to care for, and most look alike (in case of death - my daughter had Dorothy - I, II, III, and IV.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zinniadaisy
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Fish are awesome 1st pets

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Fish. You can start small and cheap.

buffalove23
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Hermit crab?
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Good call on the salmonella!! Thanks for the warning!

Quoting mybratsmom:

Turtles are sensitive and can carry salmonella. Not recommended for little a who still put their hands in their mouths or all over their faces. We had(brother still has her) a tortoise, since we were 12/15 (we're in our 30s now).

Do a fish - fairly cheap, semi-easy to care for, and most look alike (in case of death - my daughter had Dorothy - I, II, III, and IV.

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Any fish suggestions then? Something pretty lol. She doesn't like my friends beta lol

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM
We saw those at the mall and they kinda freaked her out lol

Quoting buffalove23:

Hermit crab?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buffalove23
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Lol yeah they are pretty creepy. If you decide on anything I would totally check freecycle or craigslist for tanks etc people have them on craigslist here all the time

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting buffalove23:

Hermit crab?

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Ooh good call! That was dh's concern if we did end up getting fish. The tanks can be expensive.

Quoting buffalove23:

Lol yeah they are pretty creepy. If you decide on anything I would totally check freecycle or craigslist for tanks etc people have them on craigslist here all the time

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Quoting buffalove23:

Hermit crab?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zinniadaisy
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM
There are ones about the size of betas called mollies that come in lots of colors. I'd get a small (5 gallon) tank kit and 3 mollies Walmart had 5 gal tanks for under $30 and you'd spend maybe another $10 on the fish and some foodbr />
Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Any fish suggestions then? Something pretty lol. She doesn't like my friends beta lol

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)