Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Food Storage Prepping & Survival Tip #5 How to save freezer food if electricity goes out!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

i'll check this out later. The compresser on our freeze is going out so I may need to try and save it all at any time   frustrated

jules8289
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Great idea if your looking at not having electricity for a long time in warm weather. When I saw this I remembered a great item to help can outdoors. Have you heard of a Volcano Stove?  It would be perfect for this type of project. It's a good idea to do this even if you still have electric on as it would save your kitchen from heating up in the summer time during canning season. This video is the only thing I could find on Youtube describing how it works. It would be so worth the money and safer too for canning. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I'd be in trouble unless I could find a half dozen propane stoves and more pressure canners LOL  With three large freezers plus the fridge freezer, that's a LOT of food to can.

....and yes, she could can that lemon juice.  Lemon juice is often added to other foods to increase the acidity level, and it can be safely canned by itself.

countryglammer
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM

yes i have, i am Cherokee and we would watch my grandparents make clay stoves, i also learned how to make a solar one out of an old tv screen and supplies

Quoting jules8289:

Great idea if your looking at not having electricity for a long time in warm weather. When I saw this I remembered a great item to help can outdoors. Have you heard of a Volcano Stove?  It would be perfect for this type of project. It's a good idea to do this even if you still have electric on as it would save your kitchen from heating up in the summer time during canning season. This video is the only thing I could find on Youtube describing how it works. It would be so worth the money and safer too for canning. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)