Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are people so cruel? (Off topic)

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 29 Replies
Apparently a guy jumped from an overpass to commit suicide today. My friend posted about it on FB. The comments proceed with "scrape him up, he is messing up traffic," "he is saying f-you to the world he hated so much." The list goes on.

Last July my mom committed suicide by jumping from a bridge. It hurts me to see how people lack empathy when they are inconvenienced. I get they are frustrated but be a little more sensitive.

Just venting :-(
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg. That's horrible
polkaspots
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
People suck. I'm sorry about your mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

A few years ago I witnessed a man jump from a bridge, I didnt know the guy or why he did it but it hurt my heart so bad to see someone believe there was no other way out but to end it. Later that night I logged onto the newsite and saw the story about it, the comments were mostly sympathetic and caring but the ones that were not killed me on the inside. Why people act like that towards another human I have no idea, we for sure as a society have lost our way in more ways then one. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

People can be so heartless, but sometimes I think they think are trying to be funny or defuse a tense situation with a "light" comment.  Usually those are the socially awkward or attention seekers, or (let's admit it) just plain jerks who take enjoyment at watching other's hurt reactions.

I am SO unbelievably sorry about your mother.  I can only imagine how this particular incident today would have struck you worse than others. 

a_and_j_momma
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Usually I am shake it off but this one really bugged me:

If your life is, well, lifeless... you gotta go out with a bang! (Or splat) Come on

Quoting anotherandree:

People can be so heartless, but sometimes I think they think are trying to be funny or defuse a tense situation with a "light" comment.  Usually those are the socially awkward or attention seekers, or (let's admit it) just plain jerks who take enjoyment at watching other's hurt reactions.

I am SO unbelievably sorry about your mother.  I can only imagine how this particular incident today would have struck you worse than others. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh Geez!  That is HORRIBLE!  I wish for pseudo-karma.  I would never wish anything horrible on someone, but I do often wish people like that would stub their toe REALLY HARD! 

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Usually I am shake it off but this one really bugged me:

If your life is, well, lifeless... you gotta go out with a bang! (Or splat) Come on

acrogodess
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
When my uncle was killed by a hit and run driver a lot of the comments were about how he was an illegal who should've never been here and deserved to die. Meanwhile my grandma brought him here legally when he was a child, he was a citizen and worked hard as a butcher to provide for his family. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Aaaahhhhh...I hate that!! We have lost so much compassion towards each other it's ridiculous.
I am terribly sorry about your mother.
A few years ago I stopped my dad from shooting himself and had him committed. I battle daily with wondering if I did right by him to stop him, or if I was just being selfish. I visit him often and can only hope that he knows how much I love him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
That's horrible! People need to learn to think before speaking - and keep their mouths closed until they know the whole story.

Quoting acrogodess:

When my uncle was killed by a hit and run driver a lot of the comments were about how he was an illegal who should've never been here and deserved to die. Meanwhile my grandma brought him here legally when he was a child, he was a citizen and worked hard as a butcher to provide for his family. :-/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Op, I am very sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)