Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
You guys think that bulk buying is a.good idea when it comes to like meats, canned goods, household items . Or do you think its a bad idea? Does it cost more in the long run or is it cheaper.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
mjgm1966
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sometimes, it is cheaper....check the prices and do the math.  I like buying meat in bulk and seperating it into ziploc bags.  Especially hamburger meat.  Sometimes it is cheaper by the pound when you buy in bulk.

purplerobin
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Depends on what your family normally would buy and use. You have to know your prices, too. Compare the unit price to what you'd pay at other stores. 

polkaspots
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
We only buy in bulk when things are on sale. We have a deep freezer and barely enough storage space for when we do, but it's not really worth it for us since we like pay check to pay check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I bulk buy when I can.  Many times it comes out cheaper. 

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Depends really one what it is that we are buying. Toilet paper for 6 people, bulk is a definate. Ketcup, Ranch, popcorn, paper towels, cat/dog food yes. Fruits no, spoil to fast. 

I have 6 in our family and try really hard to have at least a few months back up on everything. Some bulk, some just basic

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
It depends.
Each year near thanksgiving dollar General does .35 cans of libbys veggies.

They also release a 1 $/4cans around the same time.

Itrade or buy for about 100 coupons.
I go ti walmart, pre order 400 cans of veg.. (asparagus, peas, carrots, green beans, potatoes and corn)

I end up paying 60 bucks for a pallet of shelf stable food that is dated for 3-5 years.

I can't do that at sams

Meat.. sometimes. You need to know yor areas pricing.
I buy flour sugar and rice at sams. Just about everything else I try to buy at the commissary or PM at Wal-Mart.

I live in Kentucky/Tennessee though. . So things like milk and corn are cheap, but fruit and meat is not.

Make a price list and stick to it.
I won't pay more than 1.79/lb for chicken breast, 1.99/lb for ground beef or 3.99/lb for ribeye.

In Pennsylvania I couldn't have done that.
lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I make my own bread, so I buy bulk flour.  My dh is Cuban, so we eat a lot of rice, so I also buy that in bulk.  I stock up on things when they are on sale and I have a coupon.  I buy/freeze cheese, ricotta cheese, milk, yogurt, in season fruit and veggies.  I use coupons on the rest and get most body products for free, so I don't buy these in bulk.

Medusa686
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM

We are a family of 3 and I found that bulk buying really didn't make sense.  I think it depends on how large your family is. My friend has a family of 5 and they shop at the warehouse. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

i think deps on items and if you have storage for it...

fassett05
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Quoting lulalacroix:

I make my own bread, so I buy bulk flour.  My dh is Cuban, so we eat a lot of rice, so I also buy that in bulk.  I stock up on things when they are on sale and I have a coupon.  I buy/freeze cheese, ricotta cheese, milk, yogurt, in season fruit and veggies.  I use coupons on the rest and get most body products for free, so I don't buy these in bulk.

How di 75 freeze fresh fruit anf.vegetables?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN