Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
You guys think that bulk buying is a.good idea when it comes to like meats, canned goods, household items . Or do you think its a bad idea? Does it cost more in the long run or is it cheaper.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (21-24):
dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Probably the only thing I buy in bulk is toilet paper and paper towels.  Even then it probably isn't really bulk buying in comparison to some.  Once a month I spend 10 dollars for 10 rolls of paper towels and 20 rolls of toilet paper.  After 2-3 months I have enough still stock piled that I can skip a month or 2 and use that 10 dollars for something else.  Doesn't sound like alot but I have a limited income and live alone so need to save where I can.

lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I think you are asking how to freeze fresh fruits and vegetables?  Well some freeze much better than others.  For fruit it gets cleaned, sliced if a fruit like strawberries, and frozen in liquid.  I really only freeze berries and ripened whole bananas.  Fresh veg gets cleaned, cut into whatever slices I would use for dinner, then flash boiled for 30 sec.  I remove veg from boiling water and place into an ice water bath until cool.  I also freeze vegetables in this liquid.  There are a lot of veg that can be frozen.  If you buy them at their lowest price, in season, they can cost sometimes less than .50/lb.

Air in contact with frozen foods creates freezer-burn and bad flavored food.  To keep out air you should either use a food sealing machine or freeze in liquid.  If you freeze in plasticware or glass containers, some people like to add a layer of oil (I use olive oil) as soon as food freezes to keep out additional air.

Quoting fassett05:

Quoting lulalacroix:

I make my own bread, so I buy bulk flour.  My dh is Cuban, so we eat a lot of rice, so I also buy that in bulk.  I stock up on things when they are on sale and I have a coupon.  I buy/freeze cheese, ricotta cheese, milk, yogurt, in season fruit and veggies.  I use coupons on the rest and get most body products for free, so I don't buy these in bulk.

How di 75 freeze fresh fruit anf.vegetables?

a_and_j_momma
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM
It depends on what it is and what I can compare it to.
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Knowing prices is how you can tell
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)