Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Where to start?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 16 Replies
I am new to the whole couponing thing. I am in desperate need of some help.Our biggest expense in this house is food. I am a single mom of 5 and I have 3 teenagers and 2 tweens. What is the easiest thing to stock up on as far as food is concerned? I would really love some ideas as to how I can make the food in this house go further or some home made recipes that I could do in place of store bought items.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh it depends on your stores and the seasons.

Thanksgiving is great for dry goods, canned and Turkey.
Winter is good for frozen and hba.

Spring is kind of a free for all, usually HBA and pre made meals and summer is the best for fresh anything.

Let me switch off mobile.

What stores do you have?
sweetbamabrown
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

We have Wal-mart, Aldi, Kroger, Publix, Save a Lot. We also have an Earth Fare but I can't afford that store. It is way too high.

polkaspots
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
If your kids are anything like I was, you should stock up on ingredients for things they can grab and eat at a moment's notice. Pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, smoothies, mini pizzas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Do you know if your kroger or publix double?
Or if publix takes target as a competitor?
We have the same stores!:)
sweetbamabrown
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

The only one I know of for sure that does that  is Publix. I know all the grocery stores and drug stores are competitors for Walmart but Walmart doesn't double their coupons that I know of. I don't ever do any shopping at Target so I am not sure if they double or consider any of the other local stores competitors.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM

PASTA, BREAD, CONDIMENTS, FROZEN VEG, TOILETRIES, SNACK ITEMS

matreshka
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Check out krazycouponlady.com

lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

You should definately be shopping at Target.  I don't do my bulk shopping their, but I do pick up things for very, very cheap.  Last Saturday I bought $50 of product for $18.  That included 2 packs razors, 4 shamp/cond, 6 packs gum, 4 packs skittles, 2 packages soy burgers, 2lbs frozen fish, package italian sausage, and hot fudge. 

Follow TheKrazyCouponLady.com.  They list best deals at Target weekly.  It's really worth it.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Couponmom.com is very helpful also, weekly emails for deals and coupons

Shop sale items only. When chicken is on sale buy a few pkgs, same with any other meat. Id get a freezer if you dont have one already. Veggies i do frozen when they are ten for $10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I've been there!

I made cookies, granola bars, muffins, pizza rolls, mini pizzas, eggs/sausage/cheese filling for burritos, even our own frozen ice cream sandwiches and popsicles.  I am a SAHM, so I also would make all of our own bread, dinner rolls, tortillas, English muffins (great for making mini pizzas), pasta.  I still make salad dressings, sauces, and cook just about everything we eat from whole foods.

If you want recipes, let me know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)