Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

5 Foods You Can Cook in Your Dishwasher ... if You Dare

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 9 Replies

5 Foods You Can Cook in Your Dishwasher ... if You Dare

by Julie Ryan Evans

dishwasherWhen it comes to cooking in today's world, there are options galore. From microwaves to convection ovens, slow cookers to toaster ovens, we have a plethora of appliances to easily prepare the foods we eat and serve our families. There's one appliance that often gets overlooked, however, when it comes to food preparation -- your dishwasher.

Yes, that machine that's generally used only to clean can actually be used to cook too. It sounds crazy, but it's true. Most dishwashers provide plenty of heat to fully cook a wide array of foods. Why would you do this when you have all those other appliances, you may ask? The simple answer: Because you can. It's fun, will fascinate people, and talk about easy cleanup. Here are five fantastic foods you can make in your dishwasher.

1. Bagels

Bagels, which require a warm, humid environment, are a perfect food to make in dishwashers. Here's a great how-to from a bagel professional.

2. Chicken

The Stir's own Adriana Velez tried it, and said it was incredible.

3. Lasagna Florentine

With this recipe for cheesy spinach lasagna, you can wow your friends and family -- especially when you whip it out of your dishwasher.

4. Poached Salmon

This recipe for dishwasher poached salmon is divine. With onions, carrots, and a lemony wine sauce, it's almost a complete meal in just two cycles.

5. Potatoes

Not only can you clean potatoes in the dishwasher, you can cook them in there too. Add a variety of spices, follow these directions, and do the dishes at the same time.

Have you cooked in your dishwasher? Would you?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
craftyme
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Eww I just don't think I could try it. I think some leftover soap would get in my food and also the food would get like watery.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I'm actually going to have to click on the recipe links before I can make a conclusion...BRB

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

OK, back.  It's a neat concept to keep in mind if the oven ever craps out on me, but I don't think I'd be a fan of doing it regularly.  With my family, I have a constant need to wash dishes, and I don't think I'd ever feel safe washing dishes at the same time I cooked with the dishwasher.  There's just too much risk of a hole letting in nasty soapy water and we wouldn't even know until someone took a bite.

Dabberdoo
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Yuck
lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Well this is just crazy. 

But I guess if you were running a load you could throw dinner in as well.  And, no probably not for me.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't have a dishawasher and I don't think I would ever eat anything that came out of a dishwasher.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

This

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

OK, back.  It's a neat concept to keep in mind if the oven ever craps out on me, but I don't think I'd be a fan of doing it regularly.  With my family, I have a constant need to wash dishes, and I don't think I'd ever feel safe washing dishes at the same time I cooked with the dishwasher.  There's just too much risk of a hole letting in nasty soapy water and we wouldn't even know until someone took a bite.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Why?.....just why?
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Nope, just don't think I am brave enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)