Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugal victor and flop all in the same. A prayer request we can somehow afford all this.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
I posted about needing the tree trimmed of our house in our yard. The highest estimate was 1000$. The lowest 450. Yesterday a guy was doing a estimate. Our neighbors where the tree originates from. Over heard the conversation. Well they don't own the house. They just moved in. Land lord gave them permission to fix up the house and yard. He says to me Did I just hear right. 650 for the trees trimmed. He says he's a contractor does all sorts of home work. He was going to clip trees in his yard. He'd do our yard. We got the stuff off the side of the house. My cherry tree clipped out of the electrical wires. A lilac bush taken town that was causing some damage near our fence close to this other neighbors garage and our gutters cleaned. All for 300$. But on the flop side. They were up on our roof cleaning the gutters. Some shingles are coming off up there. Well it is a 20 plus year old roof. I kept thinking that's bad. Dh thought there was 3 layers of roof up there. That this time we got to tear it off. No. The neighbor said only one layer is up there. So maybe last time we did the roof they tore the old one off. That might cost 1000$ for new shingles. Then the neighbors roommate is a mechanic by trade. He was looking to fix our car air conditioner. He turns the car on. Hey your check oil light is on. I said dh thinks we're low on oil. He was going to go get some. No we have full oil. Turns out the oil pump is shot. We can't drive the car. He's going to look for the part. But with is labor could be up to 450$. But that's a necessity. We can't go total without a car. I had money to pay them the 300$ for the yard work. Now it's figuring out where the other work money comes from. As this is work that is priority and a necessity. Although our son said he'd give me some money. Maybe up to 2000$. But I don't like having to take his money. Hopefully this evening I find out what the other work will cost total. Then I'll tell our son. He just said before I get his money. He wants me to get a contract in writing for the work. What I am getting for the money. That they won't get paid till the work is done.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

ugh! when it rains it pours.. good luck with everything and hang in there.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I'm very depressed right now.  I was doing so well to stay frugal.  Only buying things we absolutely need.  No credit card use.  Then all this. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Would the roommate (the mechanic) be willing to work out a barter for the labor on your car?  Look at the bright side here....if you'd driven the car you would be looking at replacing the whole engine instead of just an oil pump.

Shingles can be patched for now.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I am leaning on with the roof. Just a patch job to get us a year at least. That's what the neighbor was looking into. He said a layer of shingles is not that bad priced. But the car well I'm ok the price was 450$ at most by neighbor. A garage would charge much more.
Quoting michiganmom116:

Would the roommate (the mechanic) be willing to work out a barter for the labor on your car?  Look at the bright side here....if you'd driven the car you would be looking at replacing the whole engine instead of just an oil pump.

Shingles can be patched for now.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Have the roommate mechanic look at a salvage yard for the oil pump (I've replaced a lot of car parts and have found really good replacement parts for dirt cheap there). Also call around for price comparisons. Can't hurt.
As for the roof - my mom just got hers redone, and the insurance paid 50% for them to put a new roof. I have no idea what kind of policy it is - but call your carrier and find out. I get a small discount ($75 a year) to get my AC maintained.
I'm sorry it's all raining down on you, but honestly none of this is your fault and your frugal ways will help you persevere.
Keep trudging forward!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I had that exact same thought

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

ugh! when it rains it pours.. good luck with everything and hang in there.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Thing is on junk yard parts.  If one is available. That would be great. But labor would not be less. As it's the same work to change the part out.  I talked to our son.  He says price quoted me is more than fair.  I was looking on the barter thing.  I have a old manual defrost upright freezer. I am trying to get rid of it.  When I got my new self defrosting one a year ago.  I offered it to sil. To take up north to a friends cabin.  She never took it.  I was almost going to offer it to the neighbors in exchanage for a portion of the roof repair costs. The same with a snow blower that don't work. That can be repaired or used for parts.  If they would even take it.  Or I was hoping to find somewhere to online swap the freezer for something I do need.  I am not sure you can do that on Freecycle. 

a_and_j_momma
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM
My goodness
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)