Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Camping food

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 15 Replies
We're going camping this weekend and I need some new ideas for food! I always pack the same old stuff, burgers, brats, hot dogs for dinners. Muffins, fruit, etc for breakfast... Any thoughts?? Ideas need to be easy to prepare ahead of time and take with us as well as cheap! Thanks!!
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodswalker
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM

We would cook pasta with spaghetti sauce ahead of time and just reheat it over the grill or fire.  I'd also bring marinated london broils and cook up those. 

lovinmyboys...
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Eggs, spinach, cheese, salt/pepper in a freezer ziploc bag can be boiled in the bag for yummy scrambled eggs. You can pre prep it.
SweetPea2004
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM

You can make breakfast tacos ahead of time and just heat them on a grill. 

rwebb11
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM
We love pancakes cooked over the fire. Any foil packet meals are great, add veggies seasoning and meat. Fajitas are great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to make zip pack meals. They are made in tinfoil. Folded up like a pack. Then cooked in the camp fire.  You add your choice of meat, potato and veggie   Very little cooking required once you get to the camp ground.  Then did a dutch oven chicken casserole with stove top stuffing mix, chicken a little mayo, water and shredded cheddar cheese.  Taco's could be camp friendly. Cook the meat at home. Just heat in tinfoil like a zip pack meal. Have all your taco fixings cut up in containers or zip loc bags. Throw them in the cooler you take with all your food.  If you lived close by me.  I'd loan you a couple pudgy pie makers.  We'd make grilled sandwiches in them.  Your kids would have fun making their own sandwiches. We'd do pies in them also. Put pie filling between the bread instead of meat and cheese. Now you  have dessert.  Dutch oven stew is simple enough.  Chili can also be good.  We done a lot of campfire cooking. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM

We go hiking a lot.  And have to keep things real basic.  Pepperoni, cheese and crackers.  Trail mix.  Sometimes I can get those dehydrated meals on clearance.  But usually I pack a lot of peanut butter and jelly.

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

we make breakfast burritos, freeze them to help keep the cooler cold and toss them over warm coals for breakfast.

i make foil packets ahead of time too with with things like asaparagus, pepper/onions, or potatoes...season as you like and cook.

are you camping by a lake? bring a few things to season some fish and catch some dinner  :)

make chicken kahbobs or steak kahbobs ahead of time and cook over coals once the fire burns down a bit

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Make some beef at home in the crock pot with some french onion soup, cant exactly remember the recipe, but its super easy! You can use cut up (like stew size) round steak or whatever's on sale. Then just boil noodles at the camp site to serve it over.

jules8289
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Make trail dinners ahead of time.  Take a steak, sliced onions and wrap in a double layer of foil in a neat package sealed tightly on the ends. Put in the coals at the edge of your camp fire and go have some fun for a bit. Come back and dinner is done! Or put hotdogs in one package, already made mac and cheese in another. However you want to do it. Toss in your cooler or fridge and put in your hot coals at your camp. Super easy and the kids think it's cool. Works with sausage and scrambeled eggs. haven't tried pancakes. 

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM
We bring our camp stove so we cook our usual stuff that's easy to cook on stove. Breakfast we would do sausage, bacon, eggs, and grits or oatmeal if we don't just do cereal. For dinner we do things with very few ingredients like jambalaya, spaghetti and meat sauce, chicken Alfredo, chili, or sloppy Joe's.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)