Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you thrift shop or sale rack more??

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 54 Replies
I was just thinking this while making my last post, are good thrift shops hard to find for you recently or is it just me. I live in Columbus, OH and recently I feel like thrift shopping just isn't as good, many seem to be very well worn or just not my taste or not a nice brand. I feel like if I'm paying $5-8 for used jeans I want them to be a nice brand & not worn or $10 brand new.
Even once upon a child and locally ran stores don't seem as great as they seemed before. Though they have lots of OSU for okay prices.

Maybe it's the age, 2T but I feel like baby clothes were so much better. In Jacksonville, NC I found great clothes but it must be the location and that everybody is moving and not wanting to tote it around and here I think people save more.

On a positive note, I find that Target often has clothes on sale for thrift store prices sometimes, which is great! I got DS shorts & 2 shirts for less than $10 the other day. I'd spend at least $10 at the thrift store on that.
Recently I've been hitting the sales racks more as they have better or just as good prices.
Carter's stores also have great prices and have a huge store sale at least every three months or so!

Tell me, do you thrift shop more or hit super sales more?
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NocturnesAngel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I find that I go use the Sales more than anything else.

I'm always looking to match a coupon with a sale. :)

Especially at the end of a season, when clothes are on Clearance.

Online Sales are great too.

CometGirl
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

The thrift stores around here are full of the things people couldn't sell at their garage sales--worn out, ripped, dirty.  I shop the sale racks.

lizard3731
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I shop at thrift stores more.  Sometimes I don't find much, but other times I find lots.  When the local Goodwill didn't have many pairs of shorts, I went to the Salvation Army store and found lots. 

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Lately its been clearance racks. I haven't been going to the thrift store as often but we do have good ones around here.  LO usually throws a fit when we go into one though and wants to rummage through everything so its just easier for me to shop clearance and sales.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I go to both thrift stores and Target . Some thrift stores are too expensive! Two thrift stores are pretty good one has $1.00 clothes day and the other has clothes for half price on another day. I love the $1.00 one because I can get a lot of clothes for cheap. Target has very good clearance . I have been shopping there for 8 years . Shoes, pants, shirts, pk of socks , pk of underwear, and even purses all for less than $3.24 . I have never paid more than that for any of the mentioned items. You just have to be patient and it will go down to 75 or 90 percent off. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I used to do consignment and thrift stores when the kids were little.  But, not so much anymore.  Seemed they went downhill when my granddaughter came along.  She's almost 11 now.

I think it has a lot to do with the present economy.  People are holding onto clothing longer so they don't have to by clothes as often.  Then, they want more of their money back and the consignment/thrift stores want more money to pay the rent with.  So, I think that formula right there adds up to lower quality itmes and higher prices.  =/

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i use both. i'm actually thinking of going to the thrift store today.

dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I do more thrift store and yard sale shopping than anything.  I have been buying 2 of my GD's little outfits from Family Dollar on clearance.  Luckily they are still small enough that I am able to find clothes there to fit them.

dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Our local SA is ridiculous w/ their prices.  They want a fortune for stuff that is outdated or has seen better days.  No local Goodwills but when I do get to one I am more interested in checking out their other items instead of clothes....lol.

Quoting lizard3731:

I shop at thrift stores more.  Sometimes I don't find much, but other times I find lots.  When the local Goodwill didn't have many pairs of shorts, I went to the Salvation Army store and found lots. 

flprincessmom
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

The thrift stores here suck.....like a PP said they are full of garage sale leftovers.....can go to Target, Dd's, Ross & CitiTrends and get brand new for cheaper or the same as what the thrift stores charge for used......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)