Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Healthy Meals In The Go???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter and her BFF are playing on a premier soccer team that is based 90 minutes from our house, next week we will be making that drive 5 days in a row for team camp, after that we will be making the drive about 3 days a week. Here's my question, during camp week I need ideas for breakfast and lunch, after that it wil be dinner.

I need ideas for things to make for these meals on the go besides the usual sandwhiches. I have a double decker 31 thermal bag( it's designed to hold two 9x11 casserole dishes, but my plan is to pack individual size portions) so that will help us be able to pack things to keep them warm as well as a nice size cooler to keep cool things cool. The meals need to be healthy as well. We really need to avoid eating out as much as we can for health and financial reasons. Any suggestions or ideas you ladies have would be greatly appreciated!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM

hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, homemade muffins, homemade oatmeal & fruit bars, pancakes spread with peanut butter & jam & rolled up, ham & cheese scrambled egg muffins (can be made ahead of time), baked beans, homemade calzones, fruit salad, tortilla wraps, chef salads with strips of grilled meats (served cold), gazpacho, veggies & dip, broccoli or cauliflower salads, cold oven fried chicken

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM
These are great ideas, thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, homemade muffins, homemade oatmeal & fruit bars, pancakes spread with peanut butter & jam & rolled up, ham & cheese scrambled egg muffins (can be made ahead of time), baked beans, homemade calzones, fruit salad, tortilla wraps, chef salads with strips of grilled meats (served cold), gazpacho, veggies & dip, broccoli or cauliflower salads, cold oven fried chicken

TonyaO
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Those are all good ideas! Of course I have one of the only children that doesn't like eggs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM

hmmm.....granola mixed with yogurt?

Quoting TonyaO:

Those are all good ideas! Of course I have one of the only children that doesn't like eggs.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I make a similar commute for my dd's soccer team.  I try to stick with a protein, a carb and a sugar....hiker style.

we go though alot of cold chicken, cheese, carrots, celery sticks, heck any cut up veggie, apples, (pears don't travel well, nor do bananas), pepperoni sticks, crackers.

then I toss in a couple of cookies or a brownie.  The sugar gives them quick energy while the rest is getting processed. 

I can't afford to stop for meals nor would she have the energy to workout for 4 hours on crap food. 

STVUstudent
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

a yummy travel meal that I take frequently is pita or flat bread spread with a layer of hummus and shredded carrots and julienned cucumber.

For breakfast, a casserole of scrambled eggs, cheese and shredded hash browns... you can add bacon, ham or sausage if you like... or instead of potatoes, use cubed bread... add some milk to the eggs... it will bake up like a savory french toast...

matreshka
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM
fruit with a yogurt dip?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

greek yogurt, hummus with carrots/cucumbers, lettuce wraps with tuna salad or chicken (no mayo), string cheese

TonyaO
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I thought I was a "soccer mom" before, but I have a feeling this is going to bring a whole new meaning to that term! I like the cold chicken idea! Thanks

Quoting chicken13:

I make a similar commute for my dd's soccer team.  I try to stick with a protein, a carb and a sugar....hiker style.

we go though alot of cold chicken, cheese, carrots, celery sticks, heck any cut up veggie, apples, (pears don't travel well, nor do bananas), pepperoni sticks, crackers.

then I toss in a couple of cookies or a brownie.  The sugar gives them quick energy while the rest is getting processed. 

I can't afford to stop for meals nor would she have the energy to workout for 4 hours on crap food. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)