Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Question about freezing zucchini

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
We are going to a fair on Sunday. It's a huge flee/farmers market. I plan on getting some produce items I can freeze for meals. I was thinking Zucchini is always in abundance. I got recipes that take shredded zucchini. Like bread, muffins, cookies and such. I was thinking attempting to shred a mess of zucchini. Put it in Food Saver bags raw. Then thaw out as I need some for a recipe. Yes I know the zucchini may have some water in it when it thaws. I could drain it off or squeeze it out. Do you think flavor etc. wise freezing it would be ok. It's a goal to see how much produce I can afford on Sunday. Process it up to be frozen to go with meals.
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

i freeze a ton of zucchini every yr. Some is shredded, some are large chunks. I always leave the skin on. Shredded has gone in lots of baking, smoothies, sauces. Chunks usually end up in my veggie chili.

Flavor is fine after freezing. I always save some of the water from the zuc that thawed and use it if i need a litte more liquid in soups/sauces/smoothies and to make sure that i get the right texture out of my batters

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I throw zucchini in veggie soup,minestrone soap, pasta sauce or lasagne that was frozen. But never shredded it for baking. I'm going to make my ultra skimpy food budget work. I'm thinking of all the things I can do to make fresh produce last longer and stretch further.
Quoting RosePetalTears:

i freeze a ton of zucchini every yr. Some is shredded, some are large chunks. I always leave the skin on. Shredded has gone in lots of baking, smoothies, sauces. Chunks usually end up in my veggie chili.

Flavor is fine after freezing. I always save some of the water from the zuc that thawed and use it if i need a litte more liquid in soups/sauces/smoothies and to make sure that i get the right texture out of my batters

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Have no clue sorry
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I do this all the time.  

I freeze it in 1 cup bags.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I have roughly 50 cups of shredded zucchini in the freezer right now!  It freezes great and works wonderfully for baking, adding to sauces, soups, etc.  I have around 2 dozen sitting on my counter mocking me I'm so over zucchini right now! :) 

PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Zucchini frezzes very well

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

That's good to know. zucchini freezes well for baking. As a veggie for a side.  It did not come out to good. Was all full of liquid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN