Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How is this not coupon fraud?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am newer to couponing but I had a problem during my last shopping trip. I had a coupon for $5 off vitamins. Those vitamins are usually like $9 but they were on clearance at the store for $3.99. I got 6 bottles and had 6 coupons figuring I would get $6 in overage that could be applied to the rest of my total.

But, when the cashier scanned the coupons, she explained that the store policy doesn't allow them to give me more off then the price of the item, even if the coupon specifically states a higher amount. Now, I didn't argue because, really, it's $6 and I did get the vitamins for free. But, I am curious, since the store is now going to turn around and send those coupons to the company to get reimbursed and get $5 per coupon when they only gave me $4 per coupon, how is that not considered fraud?

I mean, like I said, it's not really a huge deal, it just seems wrong that the store is making money off of my coupons instead of giving me the full amount.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flprincessmom
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this

From what I have seen they have to give you the face value of the coupons....the only exception is when the coupon is (for instance) a buy one get one, or more, free, up to a certain dollar amount  ( buy 1 get 1 free, up to 4.59, for example)....you are right that the store WILL get reimbursed for the face value of the coupons....I would talk to the store manager, if this is happening to you how many other customers is it happening to? They should have given you the overage towards your entire purchase....

luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

That's good to know. I think I will talk to someone about it next time

Quoting flprincessmom:

From what I have seen they have to give you the face value of the coupons....the only exception is when the coupon is (for instance) a buy one get one, or more, free, up to a certain dollar amount  ( buy 1 get 1 free, up to 4.59, for example)....you are right that the store WILL get reimbursed for the face value of the coupons....I would talk to the store manager, if this is happening to you how many other customers is it happening to? They should have given you the overage towards your entire purchase....

MamaMerkle126
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I would get on it as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll get your money.

Quoting luvmykidsJC:

Quoting flprincessmom:

flprincessmom
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I agree.....talk to the store manager ASAP...they need to go over the register tape for that transaction ( or look at your receipt) and verify with the coupons that were in her drawer...so you should speak to them before the coupons get sent in....

Quoting MamaMerkle126:

I would get on it as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll get your money.

Quoting luvmykidsJC:

Quoting flprincessmom:

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Oh I am not going to bother with th overage from last time. I don't even know where my recipt is but even if I did, it just says $4 off so there is no way to prove they  were $5 coupons. I just mean next time I will have overage, probably this week I will talk to them about it.

Quoting MamaMerkle126:

Quoting luvmykidsJC:

Quoting flprincessmom:

specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on each store's coupon policy.  Their policy may state clearly that they pay no overages.  Every store is different.  When couponing, it's good to know the policies of the establishments where you are going to use them.  Many times, they are posted on the establishments website.  However, for those that aren't online, you can get them at their customer service desk.

flprincessmom
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM

you can prove the value of the coupons by having them go through what was in her drawer from that shift.....if it was me I would, not so much because of the money, but because they are probably doing this to every customer that has the same coupons.....in this case it's the point, so they do not continue to do this and get away with it....

Quoting luvmykidsJC:

Oh I am not going to bother with th overage from last time. I don't even know where my recipt is but even if I did, it just says $4 off so there is no way to prove they  were $5 coupons. I just mean next time I will have overage, probably this week I will talk to them about it.

Quoting MamaMerkle126:

Quoting luvmykidsJC:

Quoting flprincessmom:

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Our Walmart gives the overwhelm, was shocking, but a nice reward. I would talk to someone ASAP and report them if need be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It is their policy, I went home and checked. However, this seems fraudulent and if it is, their policies can not allow them to commit fraud. I (or any customer) may accept the policy but the manufacture, who is reimbursing them money they didn't honor fully, didn't.

Quoting specialwingz:

It depends on each store's coupon policy.  Their policy may state clearly that they pay no overages.  Every store is different.  When couponing, it's good to know the policies of the establishments where you are going to use them.  Many times, they are posted on the establishments website.  However, for those that aren't online, you can get them at their customer service desk.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The last placed I lived,  the money extended on to my other groceries. It was great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN