Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you decide if you can afford something?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 25 Replies

I'm sitting hear thinking about bills and such and started wondering....how does everyone else decide?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomma06
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
If we can't pay cash for it, then we can't afford it. That includes vehicles but not houses. Although if we couldn't pay the mortgage in cash, then of course we couldn't afford it.
myownparadise
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Easy. I say I can't afford anything!

Really, dh has an awesome job, and we have a great life, but I panic over everything related to money. I was just telling him that we can't afford groceries, but that really is not true. He doesn't worry at all, so I worry enough for everyone. Its kinda sad.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, will it fit into our budget?  Can we pay for it without digging into savings or cutting ourselves short in another area?  Is it worth the sacrifice we'd have to make?

Those are the questions I ask myself.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM

For us recently...it's been alot of long term purchases.  You know the ones...tuition, major repair, vehicle.  It's been a tough year.

theres been alot of shuffling of money, sacrifices and delayed purchases as a result.  It feels too tight.  But honestly I can't picture NOT doing it.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

And we personally are trying hard to work on the idea of "if it requires payments, we can't afford it".

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well, will it fit into our budget?  Can we pay for it without digging into savings or cutting ourselves short in another area?  Is it worth the sacrifice we'd have to make?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

That would definately not work.  Just saying....

Quoting mybratsmom:

This.

And we personally are trying hard to work on the idea of "if it requires payments, we can't afford it".

Quoting michiganmom116:

DACIA79
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Honestly I don't think much about it. If its expensive that just means I won't have it tomorrow I just have to save and get what I want. I always pay in cash I will put in layaway once I have 90% of the price if its a big purchase and go from there.
matreshka
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

If its in our budget for the month for what we have planned we can afford it. If it fits into our "Fun money" budgeted out for the month we vcan afford it. If its an energency and doesn't wipe out our savings we can afford it.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Ha! Sounds like us. Lol

Quoting myownparadise:

Easy. I say I can't afford anything!

Really, dh has an awesome job, and we have a great life, but I panic over everything related to money. I was just telling him that we can't afford groceries, but that really is not true. He doesn't worry at all, so I worry enough for everyone. Its kinda sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Well.... Kind of depends on what I am buying. If its a want vs a need. How much is left in the budget, and if something that can wait.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)